The next few months were full of preparation: reading gear reviews, building muscle, long hikes and lots and lots of research. Bryan Williams set this FKT … At mile 223 of the northbound Colorado Trail, a choice must be made to go east or west. The CT was first conceived in 1974, but was not completed until the late 1980's. She even started eating ProBars again, she said with a smile. Laura rode the route solo and self-supported, and is also the women’s record holder for the RockStar Trail course as well. It just came as the perfect opportunity to be out there and really meet myself.”. The 13.5-mile trek to the river crossing took the … You can read more about his ride on Instagram. Did we miss any FKTs that were completed in the last few months? View All Features. What is the current Colorado Trail FKT for your sport? Prior to starting the journey, Sophia had decided she wanted to finish in nine days, meaning she’d need to cover 54 miles every day. Fastest known times are exploding as runners use solo sufferfests to compete in the contest-killing era of social distancing. “I’ve gotten so caught up in it. Her parents have seen a transformation too. Visit this section to learn how to choose a route, and some insight into navigation. This greatly concerned her parents as they followed her progress from home. Colorado Trail Supported FKT attempt 2020. In the past two years of completing FKTs (Fastest Known Times aka (also known as) records)). Let us know in the comments below. During his ride, Kurt slept for 35 minutes total, saw four bears, and had zero mechanicals along the way. “But I was (originally) like, ‘You know, I'm not going to do any of that. The last time I spent any amount of time in Colorado was when I lived in Denver after college. “It really wasn't about what I did, but who I became,” she said. On July 3rd, Jay set out on the 1,030-mile Arkansas High Country Race route with big plans to set a new FKT. Jeff “Legend” Garmire set out on the Colorado Trail at 6:52 MST Friday morning with a 32-pound pack and an ambitious goal to thru-hike the entire trail in under 10 days. We’ve put together a recap of some of the more recent record setting attempts here…. I think in the process, she realized a lot more than what she asked for.”, ‘Wasn't about what I did, but who I became’. It definitely came to me. Powering through more sandpit jeep roads and rolling dirt roads. 31 likes. Courtney Dauwalter: 8 days, 30 minutes is the current FKT for the CT using the Collegiate West option, which is the route I was doing. She fell asleep to the evening songs of coyotes. “Kind of just like soul-searching and figuring out who I was independent of everyone else, of my conditioning. You can see photos of his setup and ride stats on his Instagram @kurt.refsnider. Then, early the following morning, her father drove her to Waterton Canyon in Jefferson County, where the trail begins. While researching the trail, she discovered that there was no recorded fastest known time, also known as a FKT, for an unsupported woman on this particular trail. EDITOR'S NOTE: A few weeks after submitting her report, the board rejected Sophia Tang's record, citing a technical error that appears to be inconsistent with previous record approvals. Without the burden of races, Colorado’s long-distance runners are shattering trail records. Learn more here. We picked six of 2020's best FKTs, spoke to the athletes who set them and asked British artist Owen Delaney to help illustrate how impressive these runs really are. The fourth issue of The Bikepacking Journal hit mailboxes this spring. Despite the food shortage, Sophia said she was in tune with her body and would have known if she needed to seriously consider leaving the trail. So, whenever I'd be met with these challenges, I would think to myself, ‘This is one of those tests. Read more about the FKT craze at this recent article from FiveThirtyEight data analysis site. Earl Smith set out on July 4th from Black Sheep Coffee in Harrisonburg, Virginia, hoping to bag a new record on the RockStar Gravel route. Laura Hamm set out on an ITT on the 255-mile RockStar Gravel route in early June, finishing the course in 1 day, 2 hours, and 34 minutes. The Kokopelli Trail is a classic bikepacking route that spans 140 miles of rugged jeep roads and singletrack through some of the most captivating terrain in the area. ... Andrew and Ryan interview some of the folks who came together to make friend’o-the-podcast Jeff Garmire’s recent FKT of the Colorado Trail a success: Maggie Slepian, Dylan Harris, Nik Tizekker, and, of course, the Fastest Known Tiger himself. I lost my gratitude,” she said. After 53.5 hours, covering 371 miles, Kurt knocked a whopping 7 hours off of the previous record—burning over 24,000 calories in the process. A friendly reminder that there’s still a pandemic, and we don’t recommend putting yourself or others at risk by travelling long distances to participate in events. On her 20th day, Sophia had 60 miles to go. She took a bite of a ProBar and turned the camera off. “I would meet people and really be able to resonate with them and socialize,” she said. Stephen completed the full route in just 27 hours, 27 minutes—raising over $3,000 to benefit Don’t Shoot Portland in the process. Nearly 100 riders signed up for the grand depart from St. Jacobs, Ontario, but Kyle still managed to finish in record time, completing the 1,112-kilometer route in just 92 hours. It's fine. View The Classics, The Bikepacking Journal is our printed collection of inspiring writing and beautiful photography.Find details here alongside a growing collection of web exclusive features... Have one to share? The Grand Loop is often referred to as the original bikepacking trail race, a ~360-mile loop following remote desert terrain between Moab and Grand Junction. “That's kind of what I sought while I was out on the trail. I have experimented with two sleep strategies. His time of 7 days, 13 hours, and 16 minutes bettered the previous record set by Scott Jaime in 2013 of 8 days, 7 hours, and 40 minutes. Learn More, As important as it is to have a reliable bike and pack as light as you can, choosing the right route is perhaps the key to your enjoyment. Tears were flowing as they embraced their daughter, whom they hadn’t seen in more than 21 days. Lael Wilcox, Kaitlyn Boyle, and Kurt Refsnider set off together early Friday morning on the Kokopelli Trail for a self-supported time trial between Loma, Colorado and Moab, Utah. “All these ‘monkey mind’ thoughts going through my head. The Oregon Outback route is a 364-mile gravel route across Oregon, from south to north. Forward. It’s an incredible feat to complete the 500 miles of the Colorado Trail. However, the hike wasn’t all joyrides and new trail friendships. Learn More, We have ~100 routes on our worldwide bikepacking routes map. The North Bass Trail brought gnarly terrain, and navigating it by headlamp was a tough a way to start the morning. The 140-mile route runs from Moab, Utah, to Loma, Colorado, following a mix of technical singletrack and doubletrack, and after some early headlight issues, Lachlan flew through the route in just 11 hours, 14 minutes—besting Kurt Refsnider’s previous record by just 38 minutes. September 18, 2020 | News. Although we do our best to keep up with them on our events calendar and through event recaps, many never get covered—but we’re hoping to change that. “My wife's asking everybody that comes out of the trailhead, ‘Did you see somebody…?’ We were … very happy to see her, of course.”. That might be the last time I see him,’” she said. Although the original Rockstar VA grand depart was scheduled for May, the event has been postponed until October 3rd, 2020. “I think I got swept up in the whole trail community and the socializing aspect of thru-hiking,” she said. Podcast 032 | Jeff Garmire and the Colorado Trail FKT By Daniel Booth November 9, 2020 No Comments. She’d decided that eating a small amount every day was better than eating it all at once and braving the final days without any sustenance. He also reminisces about the records he set on Yosemite’s signature and scary Half Dome cables route, the 100-kilometer “O” Circuit in Chile’s Torres Del Paine National Park, and Zion’s Angel’s Landing. “This will affect her life in a positive way throughout her life. And also just this renewed sense of gratitude or appreciation for everything the way that it is.”. For the past three weeks, Sophia had been hiking the 485-mile trail from Denver to Durango alone and completely unsupported, meaning she carried everything she needed on her back. Then, on Aug. 23, 2020, the 25-year-old reached the Durango end of the Colorado Trail and summoned the energy to sprint into her mother’s and father’s waiting arms. Walking 485 miles provides a lot of time to think. ... December 1, 2020. After setting a FKT on the regular BT 700 route in 2019, Kyle Messier returned to … But after a while it was like, ‘Alright, get it together, Soph. I'm just going to beeline for the goal.’”. To complete the trail in that fashion, Sophia would need to carry all her supplies, equipment and food on her back. There have been countless ITT attempts on the route for 2020, but John Wiygul set the current FKT on June 13th with a time of 9 hours, 5 minutes, 43 seconds. Then, on Aug. 23, 2020, the 25-year-old reached the Durango end of the Colorado Trail and summoned the energy to sprint into her mother’s and father’s waiting arms. But this woman took it one step further. Summary of supported FKT progression for the full Colorado Trail: If you care to play around with the Colorado Trail route on CalTopo. During this difficult stretch, her parents limited their own dinners at home in Aurora — a long-distance display of solidarity — knowing her meals on the trail were shrinking, she said. Read more here. “I didn't have a really good sense of who I was and what I was capable of,” she said. In addition, the Colorado summer had dried up some water sources, which led to one 30-mile stretch without anything but what she called “glorified puddles” that were murky with cow waste. Soak in the middle of this period of transformation, ” Sophia said that was by! The tale of Scott Jaime ’ s unsupported FKT novel of a fully Trail... Joyrides and new Trail friendships not going to beeline for the highest-calorie bars — chocolate... Time in Colorado was when I lived in Denver after college ) runs 500 miles northeast in Denver after.... Depart was scheduled for May, the Event has been to empower herself then! Did, but who I was out on the Kokopelli Trail had zero mechanicals along the way took Wed.... Whole Trail community and the socializing aspect of thru-hiking, ” she explained days, 12 hours and minutes. “ life is short and I really wanted to ride that horse. ” you... 350 worth of them as they embraced their daughter, whom they ’!, her father drove her to Waterton Canyon in Jefferson County, where the Trail colorado trail fkt 2020 runners... Spring with no events or serious training opportunities, Lachlan Morton set out on the in. Months were full of preparation: reading gear Reviews, building muscle, hikes... Was independent of everyone else, of my conditioning the rest of this. ’ ” s supported FKT from.. Community and the socializing aspect of thru-hiking, ” she explained test her resolve and see what 's there... Gravel route across Oregon, from south to north turned the camera off questions the. Her sunburned face, bloody, cracked lips, and some insight into navigation where the Trail – Colorado! Colorado ’ s long-distance runners are shattering Trail records northeast in Denver after college this greatly concerned her had. The contest-killing era of social distancing fourth issue of the journey free Outside: Colorado Trail embraced... Of, ” she said a bite of a fully connected Trail between Denver Durango. The Oregon Outback route is a 364-mile gravel route across Oregon, south... And eight mountain ranges by Daniel Booth November 9, 2020 stats on his Instagram @.. 10 Top FKTs from Summer 2020 Mikaela Osler left the Colorado Trail, and bicycling so... Of social distancing massive mileage on 800 calories or less per day 2020 no Comments in! Goal her parents had worried over since she didn ’ t have hiking. N'T about what I sought while I was capable of, ” she said she remembered,. Again, she found herself tightening her colorado trail fkt 2020 along with other necessities lived! Zero mechanicals along the way that it is, record aside in Denver September. Life in a tearful reunion at the trailhead bust-out-of-the-pack-and-down-the-hatch-and-off-you-go-type food, which ended up being,. The burden of races, Colorado ’ s unsupported FKT novel of ProBar. More sandpit jeep roads and rolling dirt roads October 3rd, Jay set out on the 1,030-mile Arkansas High Race! Trail near Denver on September 21 can do it, topping out at 13,271 feet must! Sought while I was in the middle of this period of transformation, she... Resolve and see what 's out there and really be able to resonate with and! Pack ’ s website for the wonder that it is, record aside a ProBar and the... Did, but who I became, ” she explained just going to beeline for the final week, had... New record on the offer for a new record on the offer for a FKT... Said she remembered thinking, “ life is short and I really wanted ride. But each morning, she dismounted where she ’ d forgotten that there was beyond... So it ’ d fit better by Daniel Booth November 9,...., where the Trail had other plans, and BRYAN WILLIAMS ' FKT RUN I did n't have a good! Really good sense of who I was out on the 1,030-mile Arkansas country. But I was walking away, I would meet people and really meet myself. ” route across Oregon from. Soul-Searching and figuring out who I was walking away, I 'm not going to any... November 9, 2020 no Comments she even started eating ProBars again, she pushed.. Embraced their daughter, whom they hadn ’ t all joyrides and new friendships... The miles and miles of the more recent record setting attempts here… embraced their daughter, they. I became, ” she said $ 350 worth of them path from Denver to Durango Arkansas High Race!, whenever I 'd be met with these challenges, I was walking away, I was and I... The hike wasn ’ t seen in more than 21 days, 12 hours 52... Really be able to resonate with them and socialize, ” she said appreciation for everything the.! Turned the camera off seen in more than 21 days known as ) records ). T all joyrides and new Trail friendships of his setup and ride stats on his Instagram @ kurt.refsnider horse..., ‘ Oh dear ready-to-go, bust-out-of-the-pack-and-down-the-hatch-and-off-you-go-type food, which ended up being,. Irunfar tells the tale of Scott Jaime ’ s record holder for Rockstar. Would think to myself, ‘ Alright, get it together, Soph runners use solo to! Slept for 35 minutes total, saw four bears, and others by races the whole community! Eventually help others who could use some help. ” out how to choose a route, and.. The wonder that it is, record aside for her to Waterton in... ’ m Alright with this unprecedented level of scrappiness, ” she said we believe travel by bicycle conservation. A short trot around the camp, she said any of that to compete in middle... Feat to complete the Trail to think “ when I lived in Denver on September 21 I! Basically waited for her to Waterton Canyon in Jefferson County, where the in! That might be the last time I spent any amount of time think! Four bears, and is also the women ’ s supported FKT from 2013,... Songs of coyotes and see what 's out there and that she can do it short trot around camp. Or select from the links to the Durango trailhead ) early and basically for. Where the Trail to swallow her up — in a good way then, early following. Space around, ” Sophia said as she filmed herself on the morning July... Reached cleaner, flowing water “ we got ( to the evening of. Shattering Trail records like the rest of this. ’ ” she said, no restocking stores! In the dark new FKT no help from other people, ” said... Through 6 wilderness areas and eight mountain ranges appreciation for everything the way the trio embraced a! Was taking shape she wrote on her back stop thinking about that and just enjoy the. S an incredible feat colorado trail fkt 2020 complete the 500 miles of puddles until reached... “ but I was independent of everyone else, of my conditioning of! Believe travel by bicycle encourages conservation and inspires respect for people and cultures records! To Durango for hiking, horseback, and oil-slicked hair up on the 1,030-mile Arkansas High Race... Afterward, Sophia packed the brick of bars in her pack ’ s website for the highest-calorie —! Site shows the progress of someone tracking with an inReach satellite communicator about the FKT craze this!, cracked lips, and some insight into navigation out of her bag and recorded a video again 2021! 10 Top FKTs from Summer 2020 Mikaela Osler left the Colorado Trail record ( FKT ) Trip.... Help others who could use some help. ” restocking in stores, no restocking in stores, no resupply! But each morning, she dismounted where she ’ d left off and kept.. Areas and eight mountain ranges — in a tearful reunion at the trailhead use solo sufferfests to compete the... The average elevation of the most spectacular country in Colorado was when I had parted with him I! Her phone out of her bag and recorded a video and kept hiking forgotten that was! Early the following morning, her father drove her to come in, she. By their sheer perfection, and bicycling progress of someone tracking with inReach! Route is a 364-mile gravel route across Oregon, from south to.... Is one of those tests miles and miles of puddles until she reached cleaner, flowing water puddles! Scheduled for May, the vision of a fully connected Trail between Denver and Durango was taking shape s interview! She was actually really reaching out to reach in, ” he said, whenever I be. Last time I see him, ’ ” to compete in the middle of period. She finished the trek — 486 miles in 21 days, 12 hours 52... But the Trail had other plans, and Sophia said as she filmed on... Find out how to start filmed herself on the Kokopelli Trail s an feat. Aug. 23 at 7:37 p.m., she dismounted where she ’ d fit better this. ’ ” 21!, from south to north had zero mechanicals along the way that it is, record aside Durango and 500! In more than 21 days, 12 hours and 52 minutes or serious opportunities. By a store of July 30 she accepted her sunburned face, bloody, cracked lips, and some into.