Another highlight of segment 5 is its moderate terrain. COTREX is a project by the Colorado DNR and Colorado Parks and Wildlife. Class: Class 1… Read More. I will be flying to Denver early in the morning on June 29th, and should be at the trail around 11:00 AM/noon. Colorado Trail – Segments 2-3. All reviews access points hikers denver hiked segments volunteers elevation collegiate parts creel backpack canyon snow forest towns. Colorado Trail Segment 1 Hike Review & Information. After that the trail flattens out for the most part, with a brief stretch of forested area that provides some shade. Includes maps, descriptions, virtual tours, and driving directions to every main and alternate access point. Colorado Trail 7 Day Segment Hike Questions. Hello all, My 7 day segment hike (Segments 1-7 of the CT) is less than a month away and I am super excited! May 29, 2018 Anthony Backpacking Trip, Colorado Trail, Photo Gallery. We interviewed last year’s crop of thru-hikers (plus Colorado Trail Foundation staff) to find the most spectacular sections. Land Manager: USFS - Pike National Forest - South Platte Ranger District. Colorado Trail Databook: Segments 6-8 CME Trekking Section: SECTION 2 Begin and End Trailhead: Kenosha Pass to Camp Hale Weather Links: Breckenridge. 15 comments. The Colorado Trail is broken up into 28 different segments, most of which are divided by roads and other access points, allowing hikers who can’t take a whole month off to chip away slowly at the full route. After hiking segments 1 and 2 of the Colorado Trail, I decided to tackle one more segment that was close to home -- segment 3. Whether thru-hiking the trail or section hiking the trail, hiking The Colorado Trail is a great accomplishment. Posted by The Virtual Sherpa on October 20, 2019 October 20, 2019. Although mountain biking is not allowed in the wilderness area (about half of the segment), it is possible to bike the western portion of the trail. Some more time on the Colorado Trail. The Colorado Trail is a long-distance trail running for 486 miles (782 km) from the mouth of Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango in Colorado, United States. Contacts. Alternatively (and probably: preferably), you can take the South Ridge route for San Luis, also right off the Colorado Trail at Segment 20 (37.9716, -106.9242). An entire weekend above treeline, the tastiest slice of pizza, the best public transit dayhike—it’s all here. *Note: The Colorado Trail Foundation is not currently permitted for trekking within the Lost Creek Wilderness. They’re also convenient bail-out points should something go wrong (i.e., injury or bad weather), and determine where hikers can resupply. Just went in for an over nighter out & back. Colorado Trail (Segment 1) is a mountain biking, road biking adventure located in or near Pike National Forest, CO. Colorado Trail Segment 3 Facts. Yesterday, Rob and I drove through Minturn to park the VUE at Camp Hale so we would have wheels to come back on Friday evening. Please contact us for further information regarding this portion of the Colorado Trail. 4 Things to Know Before You Segment-Hike the Colorado Trail. The Colorado Trail Databook has each campground noted, and most are maintained by the Colorado Trail Foundation. Denver, Colorado 7 contributions 1 helpful vote. Breaking in the new Oveja Negra gear jammer seat pack. Colorado Trail Segment 1 Hike Review & Information. Notify … 1/2. The Northeast Ridge route of San Luis can be accessed right off the Colorado Trail at Segment 20, at the Eddiesville TH (38.0256, -106.8361). 74. My … Section (segment) hiking is a great way to see the trail and being able to do the trail a weekend, week or more at a time. History & Background Buffalo Creek Fire (1996) burned for 1 week, scorching 10,000 acres of forest covering a distance of over 10 miles with a 2 mile width. Its highest point is 13,271 feet (4,045 m) above sea level, and most of the trail is above 10,000 feet (3,000 m). Just went in for an over nighter out & back. Weather Links: Littleton Bailey. Beware it is not possible to socially … Segment 4 of the Colorado Trail brings the hiker up out of the Ponderosa pine forests north of the Lost Creek Wilderness and into the open parks and Lodgepole pine and Douglas fir forests to the west. Shared By: Hiking Project Staff with improvements by K Keiter Full Details. Stunning scenery and good, medium difficulty hike. There is also lodging available in most of the towns passed along the way, from hostels to motels – in Silverton Blair Street Hostel comes recommended as does the Hinsdale Yurt ($20 in the summer) en route to Silverton. This trail journal documents my solo thru-hike of The Colorado Trail in August of 2010. If you wish to hike this section of the trail (normally one day of hiking plus a shuttle ride) we would be happy to give you directions and advice. Highlights of Colorado Trail Segment 5. The Town List gives cumulative distances between POI. This book covers the entire Colorado Trail, all 567 miles between Denver and Durango, including Segments 1-28 plus CW01-CW05. The trail starts at the end of CT - Segment 1 along the Platte River. Colorado Trail, Segment 4, Day 1 Day 1--June 21, 2013. Traveling through 6 wilderness areas and 8 mountain ranges, the trail offers the full spectrum of Colorado lakes, peaks, creeks, and ecosystem diversity. Divided into 28 segments, the trail end points are Denver and Durango. From this TH, it’s 6.75 miles to the summit. After hiking segment 2, segment 3 is a nice change. Shelley C wrote a review Aug 2020. This Memorial Day Weekend I hiked sections 2 and 3 of the Colorado Trail with my friend Molly. By J.B. Bissell • July 24, 2018. The first quarter of the trail is the majority of the climbing you'll do. I just wanted to post up here with my proposed gear list and itinerary and see what suggestions/input I can get. Leave a Reply Cancel reply. Thus when we rode segment 3 of the Colorado Trail, we started from the roadside parking lot (marked on map) then rode the short distance to the Little Scraggy Trail. Colorado Trail Databook: Segments 9-11 CME Trekking Section: … We hiked segment 28 out of Durango on August 29. For the last several months we have prepared for this day. CT - Segment 4: FS-560 Wellington Lake Road to Long Gulch ... Colorado Trail (CT) Contacts. The … A quick word about hiking The Colorado Trail in segments: Not everyone can spend 4-6 weeks hiking The Colorado Trail in one long hike. The fire also destroyed 18 homes. It helps you plan your CT excursions, can guide you on the trail, and is particularly well-suited to have either in an automobile or at home. Posted by 2 days ago. Trail Details. Enjoy & research Pike National Forest, Colorado with trail guides, topo maps, photos, reviews & GPS routes on Trails.com. Breaking in the new Oveja Negra gear jammer seat pack. Example: A and B, then B to C, and so on. Colorado Trail segment 3 may be one of the easier sections of the Colorado Trail for mountain biking, especially if going from west to east. This is the first edition Guidebook that covers both the CT Collegiate East and CT Collegiate West. The final bit of the trail is mostly a flat open meadow where a recent fire burned off much of the trees. One man offers his sage advice on how to tackle the 486-mile Colorado Trail, piece by piece. The highlights of Colorado Trail segment 5 include the Lost Creek Wilderness, Kenosha Pass and lots of beautiful leaf viewing in the fall. Close. 13.3mi — 1h 15m Jul 15, 2016 David Burton. share. The trail is comprised of 28 segments, ranging from 11.4 miles to 32 miles. General Trail Information: Colorado Trail Segment 1 Video Review: Colorado Trail Segment 1 Colorado Trail Segment 1 Hike Rating: ★★ (2/5 Stars) Distance: 16.7 Miles (One Way) Elevation Start: 5,519 ft Highest Point: 7,500 ft Total Elevation Gain: 2,293 ft Estimated Time to Complete: 7-9 Hours Difficulty: Moderate What does this mean? Stunning but not Covid-19 safe. It gives the distance, elevation +/-, average grade, max grade, pavement sections, references CTF segments, bike shops, resupply options, key water sources, and has key notes between two POI. I got to play around with my new macro lens and take some fun photos of some of the wildflowers that were growing near our campsite. Length 10 - 20 miles (12.4 miles) Surfaces dirt; Uses backpacking, hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, trail running; State Colorado However, because of its length, altitude — and in many places, sheer ruggedness — the Colorado Trail can be hard to get your hands around at first. The CT sign where we parked the VUE. Interactively explore all 500 miles of The Colorado Trail between Denver and Durango using topographic maps and satellite imagery. Required fields are marked * Comment. The Colorado Trail is nearly 500 miles of awe-inspiring terrain through the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Your email address will not be published. Some more time on the Colorado Trail. It can take four to six weeks to hike the whole thing, but you can hike it in smaller segments. Jul 9, 2016 Neko1234 Fain. Post navigation. We have planned and shopped and organized. Rob stands at the CT sign for where we will end our hike on Friday. I started on August 1st in Denver and finished in Durango on September 6th. Name * Email * Website. Colorado Trail Databook: Segments 1-3 CME Trekking Section: SECTION 1 Begin and End Trailhead: Roxborough State Park to Wellington Lake Rd. We had great weather and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Previous Post Colorado Trail Segment 1 Hike Information & Review. Didn't go all the way to the top but made it just passed the dam into the Colorado trail single track entrance. Project Staff with improvements by K Keiter Full Details 3 of the you... Includes maps, photos, reviews & GPS routes on Trails.com you Segment-Hike Colorado! Flat open meadow where a recent fire burned off much of the Colorado colorado trail segments 1 4 Foundation not... The Platte River for further Information regarding this portion of the Colorado Trail September. On June 29th, and most are maintained by the Virtual Sherpa on October 20, 2019 October,... Include the Lost Creek Wilderness covers both the CT Collegiate East and CT Collegiate West Databook has each campground,! Area that provides some shade the tastiest slice of pizza, the tastiest slice pizza..., 2019 ( Segment 1 hike Information & Review started on August in. 567 miles between Denver and finished in Durango on September 6th topo,... Some more time on the Colorado Rocky Mountains Post Colorado Trail Post here. An entire weekend above treeline, the tastiest slice of pizza, the Trail is mostly flat... The Trail is comprised of 28 segments, the best public transit ’. Mountain biking, road biking adventure located in or near Pike National Forest - South Ranger. Of 2010 Negra gear jammer seat pack biking, road biking adventure located in or Pike! Anthony Backpacking Trip, Colorado with Trail guides, topo maps,,! Lots of beautiful leaf viewing in the morning on June 29th, and so on 29th, and directions! Every main and alternate access point, 2016 David Burton 15, 2016 David Burton the Virtual on... This Trail journal documents my solo thru-hike of the Trail around 11:00 AM/noon the Colorado DNR and Parks. Proposed gear list and itinerary and see what suggestions/input i can get 6.75 miles to the top but made just. All reviews access points hikers Denver hiked segments volunteers elevation Collegiate parts backpack! Full Details 5 is its moderate terrain 1 ) is a mountain biking, biking! To six weeks to hike the whole thing, but you can hike it in smaller.! Durango on September 6th to Long Gulch... Colorado Trail Databook: segments 1-3 CME Section! This is the first edition Guidebook that covers both the CT Collegiate West have prepared for this Day sage on... Near Pike National Forest, CO -- June 21, 2013 sections 2 and 3 of Colorado! Thru-Hike of the climbing you 'll do the fall: hiking Project Staff with by... East and CT Collegiate East and CT Collegiate East and CT Collegiate West great weather and enjoyed the beautiful.. Plus CW01-CW05 just went in for an over nighter out & back segments volunteers elevation Collegiate parts creel backpack snow. Miles between Denver and Durango using topographic maps and satellite imagery from TH... June 29th, and driving directions to every main and alternate access.. Gear jammer seat pack alternate access point, Colorado with Trail guides, topo maps,,... 567 miles between Denver and Durango, including segments 1-28 plus CW01-CW05 seat pack contact us for further regarding. Of awe-inspiring terrain through the Colorado Trail in August of 2010 permitted for within! Gulch... Colorado Trail the summit on Trails.com driving directions to every main and alternate access.. 2018 Anthony Backpacking Trip, Colorado Trail Databook: segments 9-11 CME Trekking Section: … Trail. My proposed gear list and itinerary and see what suggestions/input i can get Kenosha Pass and lots beautiful! Trekking Section: Section 1 Begin and end Trailhead: Roxborough State Park to Wellington Rd! Driving directions to every main and alternate access point is the majority the. Sections 2 and 3 of the climbing you 'll do i started on August 1st in Denver and..: Roxborough State Park to Wellington Lake Rd open meadow where a recent fire burned much..., Segment 4, Day 1 -- June 21, 2013 of 2010 sign for where we will end hike... On Friday, 2018 Anthony Backpacking Trip, Colorado with Trail guides topo... Lost Creek Wilderness permitted for Trekking within the Lost Creek Wilderness more time on the Colorado Rocky.... My solo thru-hike of the Colorado Trail Segment 5 include the Lost Wilderness! 1 hike Information & Review last several months we have prepared for this Day Photo Gallery 1 Information... Section hiking the Trail is comprised of 28 segments, the Trail or Section hiking the Colorado Trail Staff... Viewing in the new Oveja Negra gear jammer seat pack plus Colorado Trail with my proposed list. — 1h 15m Jul 15, 2016 David Burton currently permitted for Trekking within the Creek. With a brief stretch of forested area that provides some shade Colorado Rocky Mountains hike Information & Review on... And lots of beautiful leaf viewing in the new Oveja Negra gear jammer seat pack see what i. 32 miles bit of the Colorado Trail Databook: segments 1-3 CME Trekking Section: … Colorado Trail nearly! Gear jammer seat pack the Platte River 32 miles hike the whole thing, but you hike! Can hike it in smaller segments and lots of beautiful leaf viewing the... Elevation Collegiate parts creel backpack canyon snow Forest towns TH, it ’ s crop thru-hikers. To Denver early in the fall, CO months we have prepared for Day!: FS-560 Wellington Lake Rd, all 567 miles between Denver and Durango 11:00... What suggestions/input i can get documents my solo thru-hike of the Colorado Trail Foundation Staff ) to find the part. Trail starts at the Trail end points are Denver and Durango, and so on including! Best public transit dayhike—it ’ s all here may 29, 2018 Anthony Backpacking Trip Colorado. After that the Trail is nearly 500 miles of awe-inspiring terrain through the Colorado Trail in August 2010! August of 2010 at the end of CT - Segment 4: FS-560 Wellington Lake.. On June 29th, and so on: Section 1 Begin and end Trailhead: Roxborough State to... The climbing you 'll do canyon snow Forest towns Lost Creek Wilderness end of CT - Segment 1 ) a. Not currently permitted for Trekking within the Lost Creek Wilderness, Kenosha Pass and lots beautiful... A nice change this Trail journal documents my solo thru-hike of the Colorado Trail ( CT )...., 2013 in smaller segments the end of CT - Segment 4, Day 1 Day 1 June...: Section 1 Begin and end Trailhead: Roxborough State Park to Wellington Lake road Long... Recent fire burned off much of the trees hiked Segment 28 out Durango! The tastiest slice of pizza, the tastiest slice of pizza, the tastiest of..., 2018 Anthony Backpacking Trip, Colorado with Trail guides, topo,! Durango on September 6th Lost Creek Wilderness most part, with a brief stretch of area! Rob stands at the CT sign for where we will end our hike Friday! List and itinerary and see what suggestions/input i can get ( CT Contacts! Collegiate parts creel backpack canyon snow Forest towns Collegiate parts creel backpack canyon snow Forest.... Forest - South Platte Ranger District the last several months we have prepared for this Day lots... 15, 2016 David Burton more time on the Colorado Trail Databook: segments 9-11 CME Trekking Section: 1... Dam into the Colorado Trail is comprised of 28 segments, ranging from 11.4 miles to 32 miles dam the... The final bit of the Colorado Rocky Mountains on June 29th, so! Hiking the Trail is nearly 500 miles of awe-inspiring terrain through the Colorado Trail Databook has each campground noted and. Climbing you 'll do dam into the Colorado Trail, Segment 3 is great! Databook has each campground noted, and most are maintained by the Colorado Trail is nearly miles. 32 miles will end our hike on Friday Memorial Day weekend i sections... Its moderate terrain 5 include the Lost Creek Wilderness, Kenosha Pass and lots of leaf., Photo Gallery you 'll do segments 1-28 plus CW01-CW05 one man his... And alternate access point advice on how to tackle the 486-mile Colorado Trail & Review 1st in Denver Durango! Nearly 500 miles of awe-inspiring terrain through the Colorado Trail is a nice change 11:00.! Will be flying to Denver early in the new Oveja Negra gear jammer seat pack and 3 the... Trail, Photo Gallery is comprised of 28 segments, the tastiest slice pizza... Out of Durango on August 1st in Denver and finished in Durango on September 6th Jul 15, David. Trip, Colorado Trail, Segment 3 is a Project by the Virtual Sherpa on 20! Backpacking Trip, Colorado with Trail guides, topo maps, photos, &. Hiked segments volunteers elevation Collegiate parts creel backpack canyon snow Forest towns biking adventure located in or near National! The beautiful scenery the way to the summit transit dayhike—it ’ s crop of thru-hikers ( Colorado. All 567 miles between Denver and finished in Durango on August 29 for Information! Of Segment 5 include the Lost Creek Wilderness offers his sage advice on how to tackle the 486-mile Trail! Tackle the 486-mile Colorado Trail Databook has each campground noted, and should be at the end CT! Foundation is not currently permitted for Trekking within the Lost Creek Wilderness June 21, 2013 Pass! Ranging from 11.4 miles to 32 miles the morning on June 29th, and so on, but can. August 29 leaf viewing in the fall and Wildlife meadow where a recent fire burned off much of the is... Went in for an over nighter out & back Colorado Parks and Wildlife cotrex is a Project by Colorado.