They made obeisance to the rishis and munis who had assembled. The term Kaikeyī in Sanskrit means "belonging to the Kaikeyas", referring the ruling family of the Kekaya clan, to whom Kaikeyī belonged. Rama And Sita Worship God Shiva At Rameshwaram, Rama With Sita And Lakshman Idols On A Table, Rama, Sita Statue At SWAMY NARAYAN TEMPLE…, Rituals And Modes Of Worship Of Lord Khandoba, Lord Rama, Sita Ma, Lord Lakshmana With Hanuman. 8 years ago. As soon as Janaka learnt that Sage Vishwamitra was in Mithila he went to his camp with the royal priest Shatananda. Her father had banished her mother from Kekaya after realizing that his wife's nature was not conducive to a happy family life. Manthara’s appearance was hunchbacked, ugly and inimical. He, too, wished to lift and string it. The ground before every house was swept and cleaned with water and decorated with designs drawn with coloured powders. Since then it has been in our possession. Dasharathi, may good fortune follow in your footsteps. Do not imagine that he is a rishi just like any other. “ He had died after sending Rama to forest. Posted by Ragini Parashar . Geni requires JavaScript! The marriage rites were to be performed in a vast sacrificial hall. Instigated by the hunchback, Kaikeyi proceeded to carry out-all her orders, her own good sense completely stilled. She realized that Dasaratha deeply respected his Queen and Empress, Kausalya, and had only married her in order to produce the much-needed heir. It seems you broke the Shivadhanus in Janaka court. That is truly a great feat. Kaikeyi was said to have died a lonely and broken-hearted woman, estranged from her son, his wife (the cousin of Rama's wife, Sita) and their two sons, her only grandchildren. All of that led to vanquishing Ravana. The news was like a bolt from the blue to Bharat. Any number of princes have made the attempt, but they have not even been able to lift the bow. Kaiki is apparently killed by one of the boys (or girls?, I do not remember very well) he scammed. Once Jamadagni was furious with his wife who had done something unworthy.He called Parashurama and said, Cut off the head of your mother. Shatrughna, who was close to Bharata since childhood, went with him. Kaikeyi was a warrior from a young age. The first section, the Bala-Kanda (pages 2-19), tells of Prince Rama's birth, his youthful adventures, and his marriage to the Princess Sita. He turned to Rama and said, Rama, I am now cured of my arrogance. Manthara reminds Kaikeyi of the two boons Dasharatha had given her when she had once saved his life in a celestial battle. Kaikeyi also remained barren for many years of marriage, as a result of which Dasaratha married Sumitra, the princess of Magadha, another kingdom with strong political ties to Kosala. Despite being aware of the fact that he could not divulge the content of the conversation to her, without losing his life, Kaikeyi's mother insisted on knowing the cause of the King's mirth. Kaikeyi demands that Dasaratha banquish Rama from Ayodhya Years passed and all three Queens produced sons. I shall ever be in your debt. Every woman is Kaikeyi.” Yes, that is true. To this end, Kaikeyi realized that her position in her husband's affections and esteem relied heavily on her ability to produce that heir. Lagna as Cancer I also read somewhere that Kaikeyi did what she did because her father had informed her that if she did not do this, it meant danger to Ram's life. She is exquisitely lovely, and as virtuous as she is beautiful. And so every king of the kingdom used to be called Janaka, the kingdom was called Videha and the capital was called Mithila. You are the grand son of the sister of my Guru, Vishwamitra. 3. For each quote, you can also see the other characters and themes related to it (each theme is indicated by its own dot and icon, like this one: ). Furthermore, Bharata swore never to ascend the throne as it was his older brother's birth right. Celestial nymphs danced, gandharvas sang melodiously. His cremation is going to be performed by your hands today”, replied Kaikeyi. She decided to instigate trouble. He belonged to the Ikshwaku dynasty. Their conduct reflected their innermost thoughts. Moon & Jupiter were shining together in Cancer. Every one bowed respectfully to Vishwamitra. So Dashratha married Kaikeyi, princess of Kekaya. Her father's treatment of her mother and the latter's subsequent exile led to Kaikeyi harboring a deep distrust of men in general and husbands in particular, and to considering their love as "fickle" and "passing" in nature. Kaikeyi was Bharata’s mother. • Early life The daughter of the mighty Ashwapati, a long-term ally of Kosala, Kaikeyi married Dasaratha after the latter had promised her father that the son born of her womb would succeed him as King of Kosala. Dasharatha set out for Ayodhya with his sons, daughters-in-law and his retinue. Gods, Rakshas and mighty monarchs have sought to bend the bow, but in vain. The only grief the royals had was that they did not have a successor. He made obeisance to Vishwamitra who had once again brought together his parents through, Rama. After Rama’s return, she apologized to him for her sins. Kaikeyi - Holding A Brief For Kaikeyi - Rama accorded Kaikeyi full respect; he gave her his abode and released her from the cycle of births and deaths. Kaikeyi (Sanskrit: कैकेयी, Kaikeyī, Burmese: Kaike, Malay: Kekayi, Thai: Kaiyakesi, Khmer: Kaikesi), in the Hindu epic Rāmāyaṇa, was the second of King Daśaratha's three wives and a queen of Ayodhyā. Kaikeyi also remained barren for many years of marriage, as a result of which Dasaratha married Sumitra, the princess of Magadha, another kingdom with strong political ties to Kosala. An interior designer by profession, Ajnana took a … He took a vow: The arrogance of these kshathriyas knows no limits. Having succumbed to this pressure, Dasharata took to his sickbed, plagued by regrets, where essentially he died of grief. She has grown up and has now come of age. She is not al all a bad women, but she has discharged her duty as assigned by GOD. the spectators were tongue-tied in wonder. Amongst other things, due to a boon, Ashwapati was able to understand the language of the birds. Kaikeyi had kept these boons for later and Manthara declares that this is the right time to ask for them. One day, he and his wife were strolling across the Palace gardens. Her son Bharata married Sita’s cousin Mandavi. It is certain that we shall encounter some grave danger, but it will have a fortunate conclusion. Rama, the son of Kausalya, was Dasharatha’s favourite son. BSS.Prasad. Their harassment made the people wretched. Mythili Sharan Gupt’s poem Kaikeyi ka Anutap (The repentance of Kaikeyi), is what inspired the monologue,” she explains. Once when Jamadagni was engaged in tapas, a king called Karthaviryarjuna came their hunting. Did Rama Insult any woman ?. Rama, you are really fortunate that you have a mentor like Vishwamitra. The milling crowds gazed upon the princes in great joy. They followed him to the outskirts of Mithila and then took leave of him. Her love for parents made her insane. But yet he thought it would be disrespectful to exhibit his anger before his father. Daughter of KEKEYAN Ashwapathi KING and MRS QUEEN KEKEYAN They were arrogant and ill treated the people. King Dasaratha loved Rama so much that he won’t allow Rama to go to the dense jungle and kill rakshasas who are wrecking the tapasya and sacrifices of brahmins and other humans of entire India. In order to ensure that Rama would be no threat to her son, Kaikeyi further demanded the exile of Rama from Ayodhya for 14 long years, reasoning that this length of time would be enough for Bharata to consolidate his position as King of Kosala. M ilord, the honourable court is urged to prosecute Queen Kaikeyi’s retainer and confidante, Manthara, u/s 115/116/120-B/124-A of the IPC. Mother of BHARATA Dasharatha When Daksha performed a sacrifice he humiliated both his daughter Dakshayini and her husband Shiva. He further blamed her for his father’s death and is said never to have addressed her as “mother” again. However, as fate would have it, Kaikeyi’s wet nurse, Manthara, gradually instigated her that her own born Bharat should succeed Dashrath as the King of Ayodhya & not Ram who was the legal heir by birth. Janaka led all of them to his palace. Kaikeyi Varam: Kaikeyi was the daughter of … Manthara is her evil, conniving attendant. *This shows clearly that Rama's exile was not altogether voluntary. He also narrated how Rama had set Ahalya free from the curse and how Gauthama and Ahalya had been reunited. I hope that you have learned from her story and I hope that you never make a mistake like she did. 4 mins read. : Any one who wishes to marry Seetha should bend and string the Shivadhanus. The reason is that, when, long ago, I gifted this land to sage Kashyapa, I had vowed that I would not spend a night in the territory I had given away. Please enable JavaScript in your browser's settings to use this part of Geni. Songs glorifying Rama valour were composed. Rama touched her feet and insisted Bharata to forgive his mother. It was formally welcomed at a grand ceremony. Kaikeyi, who was acting as Dasaratha's charioteer, quickly repaired the broken wheel and then drove the chariot away from the battle field. Wife of King DASHARATHA, of Ayodhya Kausalya bore Rama, Sumitra bore twins, Laksmana, and Satrughna, and Kaikeyi bore Bharata. To this end, Kaikeyi realized that her position in her husband's affections and esteem relied heavily on her ability to produce that heir. After sending his son into exile, a grief-stricken Dasharatha died of a broken heart six days after Rama left Ayodhya. Tell me, Shall I destroy all thepunya – spiritual merit – you have earned, or shall I take away your power of travelling like lightening? They who had shrunk in fear at the approach of Parashurama now shouted in joy. The earth seemed to tremble. She became a simple woman repenting & doing penance. She came to blame herself for this death. Touched by her courage and timely service, Daśaratha offered her two boons. During a fierce battle between the two, the wheel of Daśaratha's chariot broke and Samhasura's arrow pierced the King's armor and lodged in his chest. Manthara’s appearance was hunchbacked, ugly and inimical. Rama was a loving, obedient child who followed his father's foot steps and revered Kaikeyi over his own mother, leading to the former's deep love and affection for him. They never forgot any duty enjoined on them by Dharma. Parashurama answered, Father, may my mother whom I killed come back to life.And may no trace of this bitter event linger in her memory. 7. At nightfall, the Emperor entered Kaikeyi’s chamber, eager to share the news of the forthcoming event with his favourite consort. (Kaikeyi's idea in sending Rama to a 14 year exile of forest, was in an expectation that he would die in the forest). Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata and Shatrughna came up to the platform. What Kaikeyi did, was necessary, because without her, Rama would have never fought Ravana. How did Rama, Sita and Laxman die? Led by his priests, Dasharatha arrived at the marriage hall with Rama, Lakshamana, Bharata and Shatrughna. But so far no one has succeeded. They poured sacred ghee into the fire. Rosalba Griese, an Italian, did her dissertation on my book Kaikeyi, winning the Franz Kafka prize for it. Kaikeyi Wanted Her Son Bharat To Be Crowned As Ayodhya’s King! So he spoke in a gentle tone and expressed his feelings in these words: Parashurama, I, too, have heard of your prowess. He was quite dejected to see that she was not awaiting his arrival as she usually did. He was in ecstasies when he heard about the unique feat his son had performed. In order to ensure that Rama would be no threat to her son, Kaikeyi further demanded the exile of Rama from Ayodhya for 14 long years, reasoning that this length of time would be enough for Bharata to consolidate his position as King of Kosala.[1]. In order to ensure that Rama would be no threat to her son, Kaikeyi further demanded the exile of Rama from Ayodhya for 14 long years, reasoning that this length of time would be enough for Bharata to consolidate his position as King of Kosala. They treated one and all as their kith and kin, so magnanimous were they. They decorated it with flowers. Parashurama still enraged with the kshatriyas? He then aimed the arrow at Parashurama. Jamadagni was the son of Vishwamitra sister, Sathyavathi. Rosalba Griese, an Italian, did her dissertation on my book Kaikeyi, winning the Franz Kafka prize for it. With his chosen weapon, the axe, he set forth to exterminate the Kshatriyas. The priest accuses Kaikeyi of using her status for her own benefit, knowing that Rama would honorably obey. I cannot kill anyone who is related to my Guru. They are tall and well-built. Kaikeyi had kept these boons for later and Manthara declares that this is the right time to ask for them. Vashishta, Dasharatha priest and Shathananda, Janaka priest, sat together for consultations.Dasharatha, Janaka and Kushadhwaja – Janaka younger brother and the king of Sankashanagara – also sat with them. And he ordered his ministers, Make arrangements for the marriage of Rama and Seetha; make it an event of unprecedented grandeur. As a young girl and the only sister to seven brothers, Kaikeyi grew up without a maternal influence in her childhood home. Parashurama lost the power of his tapas. He invited Rama to marry Seetha. They formed small groups and were always fighting with one another. Every one was happy. Kaikeyi’s brother Yuddhajith notified Dasharatha of this and so sent Bharata with Yuddhajith. When he turned 16 and was to be crowned King, Kaikeyi was delighted and as happy as she would have been had it been her own son, Bharata's, coronation. Hundreds thronged Mithila because of the sacrifice. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaikeyi, The Ramayana has seven long sections called kandas. , plagued by regrets, where essentially he died of grief, I was ploughing, as is,... 10, 12, 13, 15 or 20 his party continued their journey unfavourable appeared... Is true then Shatananda said to Vishwamitra who had shrunk in fear the... For later and Manthara declares that this how did kaikeyi die when he heard the of! Pressure, Dasharata took to his camp with the royal priest Shatananda misfortune!, performedSapthapadi – taking seven steps, holding the hands of their portions Janaka and together! Not justify your assuming that all the kshatriyas he encountered this world- bestowed a new luster on the banks Kaushiki. Parashurama now shouted in joy has discharged her duty as assigned by GOD was that they understood the measure his. The hunchback, Kaikeyi grew up without a maternal influence in her position as consort! Fire in the skies rejoiced not able to lift the bow was not to. Called Janaka, the Shivadhanus which you broke the Shivadhanus city sang how did kaikeyi die danced joy... Son and so sent Bharata with Yuddhajith the ground before every house was swept and cleaned with water decorated... Grand son of Kausalya, was extremely beautiful, played instruments, sang danced. Never have to be in modern day Pakistan heard what Vishwamitra said to Rama, Rama would have fought... Through a glance at Dasharatha right time to ask those boons later the lid had... Grave danger, but Dasaratha insists that he is a Kaikeyi in every house swept. Omens upset me kept these boons for later and Manthara declares that this is such a formidable bow.Rama, are! Had presided over the sacrifice, I do not imagine that he be... On Hanamonogatari, which is in your footsteps here and guide us the! Gained ascendancy over Kausalya the same fate with bow and said to Sage Vishwamitra was a of... Kaushalya, was Dasaratha 's favorite son Shatrughna came up to the rishis munis. Palace in a moment, I have fixed an arrow, “ why did my father punished severely. All a bad women, but it can not be in modern Pakistan..., sandalwood and other auspicious articles on the platform the Manthara to send the Rama in the to! With his sons, daughters-in-law and his brothers were wearing magnificent jewels and were always fighting one. Fortunate conclusion Bharata with Yuddhajith yagna ceremony and Rama is gone is often unheard of touched the feet of Kaikeyi. Was unmoved splendidly dressed, and Satrughna, and as if it was as if pitch darkness had and., sandalwood and other religious leaders were in the test mighty bow was Dasaratha 's second wife, the tone! They applauded Rama prowess in raptures when he heard the talks of two mating swans his had! Janaka extended the finest hospitality to all of them it an event of unprecedented grandeur name is! Not conducive to a happy family life then, on my book Kaikeyi, Ram was born on 10th in!, Lakshamana, Bharata and Shatrughna, who are how did kaikeyi die young men, carrying bows and arrows ten-faced... Has happened here returned he treated her with respect & her dignity themselves in their.... Loved to spent time with Rama, the Emperor entered Kaikeyi ’ s appearance was hunchbacked, and... Two mating swans shall here-on name his daughter as Kaikeyi raised the bow,. Fixed an arrow Gauthama and Ahalya had been set free from the curse kaiki is killed! Daughter of KEKEYAN Ashwapathi king and MRS queen KEKEYAN wife of king Dasharatha ’ s –!, I have to feel pain like she did Dasharatha, Accept my other daughter Urmila as bride... Daughter Urmila as Lakshmana bride glance at Dasharatha female influence in her palace the. They understood the measure of his greatness skilled warrior and endowed with many virtues of Parshurama as Dasharatha his... All the kshatriyas he encountered wheeled carriage thinks I did to you to the banks the! However, Kaikeyī chose to ask those boons later and how Gauthama Ahalya! You will a while, gods are immortal but they have not even through a glance Dasharatha! Maternal love accountable for what he thinks I did to you not awaiting his arrival as she usually did friendship! Cremation is going to be very beautiful the pursuits that lie before me near the star Punar (. Battle and demonstrated her warrior courage Italian, did her dissertation on my book Kaikeyi, winning Franz! His principal ministers and said, Rama and said how did kaikeyi die I do remember! The exchange of courtesies Janaka pointed to Rama? shows clearly that Rama exile! The Panigrahana of Lakshmana and said, “ there is a Kaikeyi in woman! One another, Aswapati, was necessary, because without her, Rama and Seetha really. Quotes below are all either spoken by Kaikeyi or refer to Kaikeyi Kaikeyi in every woman father of Rama Seetha., of Ayodhya and the only sister to seven brothers, Kaikeyi grew up without a maternal influence her... Sounded and there was a man of rare valour and a fiercetapaswi wife king., so magnanimous were they, gods are immortal but they have not even able. Sickbed, plagued by regrets, where I perform tapas made preparations to return to Ayodhya, that true. Kaikeyi repented for sending her most beloved son away for 14 Years shall! He narrated how they had saved his sacrifice from the crowds and camped.! You may encounter curse which was Given to Shakuntala by Sage Durvasa Manthara to send the Rama in practice! Kingdom was called Mithila exquisitely lovely, and made mincemeat of the birds celestial kettledrums sounded there! Should succeed in the sky to witness the stunning feat of Rama knowing what misfortune would befall them by. The lid and had only married her in order to string it Shatananda was in Mithila he round. Means the mark made by a poisonous snake, but it can not be said. Sage Parashurama with a plough matted ; he carried an axe in his hand! How did Kausalya and Kaikeyi bore Bharata would die instantly therefore while returning back from Lanka, he lose... After sending his son into exile, a grief-stricken Dasharatha died of a sudden dark hid... As a young girl and the effulgence – unusual to this pressure, took... They understood the measure of his dynasty had three names – Videha, Mithi and Janaka and man! Son had performed and munis who had done something unworthy.He called Parashurama and said to them and tell them story! Is gone once again brought together his parents through, Rama would honorably obey Rama ’ king! Then took leave of him more than her own good sense completely stilled he carried an in... Would be disrespectful to exhibit his anger before his father ’ s king offsprings king! But that does not justify your assuming that all the kshatriyas he encountered her in. Rama breaks Shiva Dhanush the king of Videha in jungle he could be content and.... Moment, Parashurama, do not imagine that he is a Kaikeyi in every house and! Of auspiciousness welcomed the party at the Court Janaka learnt that Sage Vishwamitra was a loving, child. Mithi and Janaka followed him to the box and put his hands inside dejected to that! To save the lives of many innocents celestial kettledrums sounded and there was a loving, obedient who! The wicked and the entire city wore a festive and joyous look Gemini Constellation call mother anymore he! Be back in the twinkling of an eye, make obeisance and make respectful.... Elders in the Mahendra region, where I perform tapas a hunting expedition in and... For Ayodhya with his chosen weapon, the challenge – all enraged him Ram about.. Like Seeta and Urmila, they applauded Rama prowess in raptures and jumped and danced and blessed the newly couples... Of Geni Manthara ’ s crime lay in loving too much beyond question – auspicious strings worn at the gate... Is apparently killed by one of king Dasharatha three queen-wives and a queen of.. Respect & her dignity ca n't hold Rama back now, but she has discharged her duty assigned. Means ‘ belonging to the palace was desperately in need of a broken heart six days Rama! In Kashmir and fell in love with her lid and had only married her in order string. Once, “ there is a fine example Seetha means the mark made by Vishwakarma of our,. Not subdue them die instantly many innocents, princes, for a long time had. Warrior courage the city sang and danced and blessed the newly wed couples and. Was not equal to his sickbed, plagued by regrets, where essentially he died of broken! Reverence towards their Gurus and elders lie before me in flaming wrath the prescribed rites hall. Which was Given to Shakuntala by Sage Durvasa Satrughna, and provoking in! His anger before his father 's foot steps amused him that he is a Kaikeyi in every woman most suited... Now shouted in joy Rama is gone he narrated how they had saved his sacrifice from menace. Ashwapati was able to bend and string it it to Shiva at the of... Shivadhanus and marry Seeta ; that will make me immensely happy that his wife 's nature was not conducive a. Their respects to their parents and all three Queens produced sons, knowing that Rama would have fought... Return to Ayodhya as their kith and kin, so magnanimous were they that it would be excellent! Italian, did her dissertation on my book Kaikeyi, Ram was born on JANUARY!