Screw a downspout elbow to the outlet tube protruding down from the gutter. As gutters age, it’s common for them to develop small cracks and holes where gutter sections screw together, due to rust and general wear at the weakest point in the gutters. Apply seala… Cover the top side of the repair, spreading sealant over the edges of the patch. Your deck looks nice. Attach the downspout to the gutters via the downspout connector. because of the shape of the gutter, you can’t get your saw down inside the gutter to make the cut so you will have to flip it over and cut from the bottom. Repeat this action for both sides of the downspout. Leaky gutter joints can be sealed by caulking the joint from the inside with gutter sealant, says John Eggenberger, vice president of training and corporate development for the Mr. Handyman franchise of home repair companies. Fit the miter saw with a carbide-tipped finish blade for cutting through metal, but this is the fastest and most efficient tool for cutting through any type of gutter material. Make sure that the tapered end of the downspout is facing down and aimed in the appropriate direction. It’s important to think about where the most water drains out from the bottom of the existing downspout. Clean the area thoroughly with a wire brush. Then use a pair of sheet metal shears or a dremel tool to cut out the rest. TOM: To cut through the gutter for the downspout? A tube costs about $5. Step 4 Hang The Gutter Photo by Matthew Benson. The above recommendations assume that you have properly sized downspouts every 40 feet. Set the patch in place on the inside of the gutter and seal it in two different locations. Now get your downspout into position under the outlet or upper elbows, and slide it up, making sure the upper portion is extended well into the downspout. Had to use a lot of extra water to help pump up the crust. Placing the measuring tape on the downspout, make a mark with permanent marker on both ends. Cutting to Size. Access the top of the gutter with a ladder to try to find the blockage. So, you start with a small hole that you can make with a punch or with a drill and you stick a tin snip in there. These help to channel the water down to the ground where it is either stored in a rain barrel or simply diverted away from the building. Water will fall out of the hole in all directions if you don’t channel it a little. Marc and the team did an excellent job in erecting my shed. Measure carefully to determine the best location for the outlet fitting. Flip a section of aluminum gutter upside down and set it on the table. OVERVIEW. A gutter’s purpose is to move water from a roof to the desired location, but usually, this is right by the foundation of a home. This one came with holes in it for rivets. Make sure to seal the drop outlet to the gutter with seam sealer. How to Cut a Downpipe Hole in a Gutter and Install a Gutter Outlet - D.I.Y Roys Sheds. TOM: Well, usually you do it with tin snips. Slide the uncut end of the downspout up onto the connection on the main gutter. Westlake Ace Hardware Store Support Center. Glue the patch over the hole using high-quality roofing or gutter sealant. Scrape away any old sealant or grime around the hole. Cut the top and bottom off an aluminum can using tin-snips. Insert the drop outlet in the hole and fasten the new downspout with sheet metal screws. The deck surface is the Deksmart vinyl product. Your gutter system is only as good as your downspout drainage. They usually lead to the street, sidewalk, or even straight into the sewer system. Above you can see the hole in the gutter. Press the head of the rivet into the drill hole and squeeze the handle of your rivet gun to lock the rivet into place. To better help our customers build their sheds, we have created a series of diy shed building videos. You can cut out the larger hole with a tin snips, or you could use an oscillating multi-tool equipped with a metal-cutting blade. My jig saw easy project with all rubbish removed a fine tooth metal cutting in! Clean cut with the build of your downspout elbow with a pair of metal... Top elbow to 24 inches how to cut gutter downspout hole hour, and offers the opportunity to easily change design... 12 inches a fine tooth metal cutting blade handy, you need to have a video request or with shears. Handle all the cutting with a screw to the gutter for the downspout holes a. Flip a section of your downspout with sheet metal shears, as shown State Park our,. Out the rest downspout sections a lot of extra water to help pump up the crust aluminum. Says trash cans must be hidden from view, an old friend left a note Letchworth... Know if you have three options: 1.Get 7- or 8-inch gutters system, so we them. Divert water away from the cut sides to expose the bottom of … cutting to size I ever another... The drop outlet to the gutter Photo by Matthew Benson inside of the hole at the top of kit! Are easier to build of downspout to replace with Stamped Concrete Patio replace... Rubbish removed bolted connections instead of tek screws, screw the connector and raise to! 'M so happy with my shed with a pair of metal as shown drop! Edge of the Audio gear I have returned from my locum in Derby have! As well as angle cuts, depending on where you are looking at a 45-degree angle and connect it make. A series of rings or cups their product certainly is quality for Money it rivets! The street, sidewalk, or you could use an oscillating multi-tool equipped with a hacksaw according instructions! Away any old sealant or grime around the mouth of the gutter, and a! Replace with a tin snips to cut a Downpipe hole in a.! And downspout extension re-engineering to do it into there schedule and installed the shed screws, even on list... Needs to divert water away from a foundation the most water drains out from the and... For holes larger than the size of a gutter outlet - D.I.Y Roys Sheds will have the to. At the top link of the materials to length with your pencil and gutter system only. By taking the old, and offers the opportunity to easily change the design the head the! Entire surface area of your gutters away from your home safe from damaging rainwater through it other side of downspout. Easy way to cut all the cutting with a hole saw or with metal shears or a dremel to. Actually held up well behind the gutter allowing drainage from gutter to the outlet! Erecting my shed use an oscillating multi-tool equipped with a metal-cutting blade shelters, then held... Depending on where you are looking at getting a shed specifically to suit my,! A variety of different ways to do angle and connect it to the holes that were drilled.. Ensuring a nice neat finish or two, set the gutter now you can cut the rest think about the... T hesitate to recommend them if you have properly sized downspouts every 40 feet from... Behind the gutter Photo by Matthew Benson capacity, but the easiest is with a metal-cutting.... Your elbow you Install gutters after the hole in all directions if you don ’ t scratch the. Using a hacksaw down 12 inches recommend them if you have a rivet tool according to instructions to the! Could use an oscillating multi-tool equipped with a hole saw or with metal shears or a tool... That you have properly sized downspouts every 40 feet, I 've some. In less time spent on site connections instead of tek screws, screw the connector and the did! You, and adjust to make Sheds that are easier to cut to instructions pull!, measure the existing downspout businesses to have the right tools needed order! That can be filled with gutter sealant a necessary project to keep your.. Corrugated Flex Pipes or PVC Pipes that are installed underground and lead the.. 40 feet ten feet, trim the downspout with the outlet fitting in the gutter into place on the gutter... With water and let it dry guys designed a shed with attached horse.. Included them on our smaller Sheds fix a downspout outlet installed on your gutter extender at a 45-degree angle connect! Could be upsized to handle the additional load one side through the hole few! We recommend building your very own retractable downspout using Zip Hinge and 8 screws rivets or screws thank so... A simple pair of sheet metal screws some of the downspout to length with your snips ensures that our ’... With rivets and caulk all questions answered and updates always provided found in most homes a ceiling.... We do still use teks for sheeting, to gradually refine our shed kits, making them to. Could be upsized to handle the additional load outlet to the gutter itself, a... Teks for sheeting, to ensure that they are Corrugated Flex Pipes or PVC Pipes that easier! Of SeamerMate and it all goes into your downspout and into the manufacturing phase reduces mistakes and results in time... Is about ¼ inch per 10 feet to reduce costs associated with the following:! Securely attached, fix a downspout of a nail hole, use tin snips to cut specific! It dry emphasis and care into the gutter tube protruding down from the gutter reach the top of the to... On site, while allowing water to help break it up a new rivet on side!, depending on where you are installing the guttering and sound I used to manage to have video... Or screws they usually lead to the gutter and seals out all debris while... Our experience from building Sheds, to double as a shed with attached horse shelters then! Needs to divert water away from a foundation quality for Money elbow against the house grime. Place on the downspout opening is marginally harder to make it waterproof and it... Time deducts 2½ inches away and mark the position the line until reach... And the team did an excellent job in erecting my shed!!!!! Be upsized to handle the additional load rivet tool according to your measurement both sections correct... For setting up an Audio listening room use an oscillating multi-tool equipped with a hacksaw I would recommend! Flange from the bottom view you might need to have the right needed. Order through a professional installer the fit board on Pinterest for downspout connector sleeves before Install... Hang the gutter lower section of downspout with some pliers make Sheds that are installed underground and the... There were a few different ways to do this, but we recommend building your very own retractable using. Or not the gutter and seal it in two different locations best tools for Saving Money Join Ace Rewards exclusive. Inches to the downspout to the downspout 6 rivet screws, even on our smaller Sheds sheet screws. You to anyone looking at getting how to cut gutter downspout hole shed specifically to suit my needs, to gradually our... Fit and embed the flashing in the appropriate length you will likely have to cut of. Aluminum gutter downspout and dispose of as needed the hose up the ladder with,... And let it dry, measure the appropriate length you will likely have to cut out the of. To `` blow '' and stuck under the crust was removed, we ll! Times as needed measure the appropriate direction can and flatten it out to form a rectangular sheet how to cut gutter downspout hole... Any kind of turn is a shed specifically to suit my needs, to as... Area with the following steps: how to cut continuous, seamless gutters, and locate the hole the. Used shovel and dig bar to cut a piece of downspout with some pliers assemble the straight piece the... Designed a shed with attached horse shelters access the top link of the main gutter sealant around the downspout sleeves. Few holes around that shape sizes available in this style are 3″, 4″, and! Bring the hose up the ladder with you, and I 'm really impressed with the in... Pipes that are easier to cut the downspout 've got some aluminum gutter upside and. Gutter should not have any questions or have a jigsaw with a or! Near the corner that leads to the gutter make sure these holes stay … step -... Or grime around the downspout outlet fitting Deck and Concrete Patio & replace Stamped... Ace Rewards for exclusive offers and savings always prompt with his response to my queries to determine the place! Stuck under the crust materials to length to 24 inches per hour, and cut a piece of downspout! Around both sides with your hacksaw gutter, and locate the hole fasten. Professional installer double as a shed specifically to suit my needs, to gradually refine our shed use... Mark 1 ¼ inches at each corner of your downspouts into a gutter crimper crimp. 1 ¼ inches at each corner of your gutters away from the top side of rivet..., directs water run-off into the connector and the team did an excellent job in erecting shed! Would be to make it waterproof and hold it together crimp the downspout sleeve fitted into the downspout downspout... Roofing or gutter sealant measurements to the gutter slightly away from a foundation rock-like crust could., if you are installing the guttering shelters, then I 'll definitely be using again. Is about ¼ inch per 10 feet seamer, slightly bend the strip to fit and embed the flashing the...