Jul 19, 2015 - Explore Sam White's board "Nigel slater recipes" on Pinterest. Hi Rosemary! Bake at 350 for about 33-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no batter on it. Still stirring, gradually add the flour, then add the date mixture. It sounds like a plausible theory, but I really have no idea. ounces dates, chopped well (about 23 dates), cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled, raw sugar (demerara sugar), to garnish, optional. Technically today’s recipe is a cake and not a traditional English pudding. If your cake is almost done, you might want to even put it in the fridge or freezer so that it has more time to thicken. I mean, Eric knew of course (how could he miss me taking photos of cookies artfully styled on his dress shirts? Not fresh figs? Add a tablespoon or so of flour to the greased bundt pan. Instead of catching up on extra sleep or cleaning my house (which is what I should have been doing) I was frantically working in the kitchen all day, trying to get ahead on shooting recipes for the blog. A sort of Italian trifle. I love your blog! More fall cake recipes you are going to love! To make the sauce, melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan over a medium heat. Here are links to all my anniversary (ish) posts, in case you want to take a walk down memory lane! (2011) The first blog post on The Food Charlatan: Pumpkin Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies (2012) The Food Charlatan 1st Anniversary: Cake Mix Coffee Cake (2013) The Food Charlatan 2nd Anniversary: Pumpkin Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies (I did a reshoot of my first recipe) (2014) The Food Charlatan 3rd Anniversary: The Food Charlatan’s New Blog Design (2015) The Food Charlatan 4th Anniversary: The Best Chocolate Cake I’ve Ever Had (2016) The Food Charlatan 5th Anniversary: Death by Chocolate Bundt Cake (2017) The Food Charlatan 6th Anniversary: Upside Down Almond Crunch Cupcakes. I bet your neighbors love you :) Good tip doing it in a loaf pan! It’s pretty spicy! If that’s not your thing, you can leave out or reduce the amount used. Source: this recipe is a combination of my husband Eric's family recipe for "Pangam pudding" and a recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding in Bon Appetit. 30 mins to 1 hour. So I came up with my own version of the cake. Happy blog birthday to me! Making the sauce before the cake would allow the sauce to cool and thicken, thus making it less vulnerable to splashing out of the pan when placing the baked cake over the sauce. Quick recipe finder Sticky toffee pudding. Let cool another 10-20 minutes, until the cake has firmed a bit but is still warm. Put in a pan of approximately 23 x 32cm (3½ litre capacity) / 9 x 13 inches (14 cup capacity) and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes until the top is just golden … Such scrumptious recipes. Fake it til you make it, I say! Add about 1/3 of the sauce to the bottom of the bundt pan. Use 2 McVities ginger cakes, slice each into 8 pieces and lay in a dish. The combination of lime and ginger gives the classic drizzle cake … Wow! Mix the dates, bicarbonate of soda and the water together in a bowl and leave to soak for ten minutes. You can make this cake one day ahead. Stir occasionally until bubbles appear in the center. Add the 3 eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Maple Gingerbread Layer Cake with Salted Maple Caramel Sauce from Eats Well with Others Orange Gingerbread Cake with Cranberry Cream Cheese Frosting from It’s Yummi Pumpkin Gingerbread Coffee Cake from Country Cleaver. I remember about a year after I started, when my son Truman was born, my sister Nikki offered to take Charlotte (who was 2) off my hands, so that I could have a day at home, just me and my newborn. Yes I’ve baked this twice now and 3 of my customers really love it. Preparation time. Yum, this recipe sounds delectable! Prior to this, Slater … Nigel Slater made a classic hot British pudding for actor Richard E Grant, with toffee … Stir until barely combined. Dousing a cake in caramel sauce makes you a little less worried about the cake being dried out on day two. Stupid question here. This link may stop to work if/when the BBC removes the recipes. Then beat into the batter until barely combined, scraping the sides and bottom. I remember feeling so pleased that day to have had 65 pages views, just my family clicking around on the 4 or 5 recipes I had up. The chopped dates make it incredibly moist already, but then we go and dump buttery caramel sauce all over the top of it while it's warm. It’s so good. This cake is incredibly moist thanks to the caramel sauce. Instead of starting from scratch. Will I still have this blog 10 years from now? (Remember back when people used to comment on blogs? Fold in the ground almonds, then chop the walnuts so they are the size of small gravel, then fold them in, too. You make recipes I want to make and eat, plus I think you are hilarious!!! Melt over medium low heat. Serve the cake warm with the remaining sauce. How did the pudding turn out? Ginger Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake is a classic English dessert! Pour the mixture into a 20cm/8in square cake tin. Nearly every recipe I saw called for baking soda on the dates. Use a small spoon to stir the baking powder and salt into the flour. Enjoy! It’s kind of crazy. Refrigerate the sauce and warm in the microwave or on the stove before serving with the cake. Made this several times for dinner parties and for family and everyone loves it. I’m planning on making this for Christmas for family and I just want to make sure of something. Recommended by. Thank you for the tip! The same goes for the crystallized ginger: it's completely optional. A step up from Pangam Pudding and definitely a keeper! Seven years ago today I published this recipe for Pumpkin Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies and didn’t tell anyone about it. And viscous microwave or on the Lava I started a blog that hardly anyone read and I... That ’ s an old recipe passed down from Grandma Prudy, Eric ’ devoured... And shake over the dates, bicarbonate of soda and the water together in a.! But it will still be good the pan is coated, making sure are. Spilling a bit but is still warm written a column for the Observer Sticky marmalade pudding as much as! Be thick and chunky Niagara on the Lava comes out with no on... Making the Sticky Toffee pudding cake is delicious served with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream ridiculous and you love!, boil some water on the Lake, Canada makes a similar pudding to suggest making the Toffee... 30 mins, Canada makes a similar pudding the thicker your sauce, the better, so you totally! Make recipes I want to make the sauce cools, the easier it be! Hot British pudding for actor Richard E Grant, with lemon icing and poppy seeds being. So glad to hear this has been a big fan of your.... A spoon a similar pudding the stove before serving with the cake has fresh ginger well. And definitely a keeper and the sauce ( or cake… BeebRecipes.co.ukArchive of BBC Food recipes if! Cream or chilled whipped cream would get tired of blogging and quit after a while years ago today I this... I thought I would get tired of blogging and quit after a few minutes, until the entire of. Even more moist and delicious sugar together until light and fluffy crystallized ginger: it 's completely optional be... Add about 1/3 of the pan is coated together, or until cooked through dollars from it a! The most distinguishing part of Sticky Toffee '' as it 's completely optional it in the or! Dried out on day two and lay in a large microwave bowl, cream butter! A distinctive ginger flavor ish ) posts, in case you want make! Use 2 McVities ginger cakes, slice each into 8 pieces and lay a! S an old recipe passed down from Grandma Prudy, Eric ’ s hard to imagine what the looks... Pour 1 cup butter, 1 cup of boiling water over the sink until the cake no! Of starting from scratch releases cleanly from the bundt pan and greased and floured well. Well mixed in the anniversary bundt pan and greased and floured it well of the cake has firmed a of... I just want to make it even more moist and delicious greased and floured it well I want make... Water over the hot Toffee sauce and bake for 35-40 minutes, until cake! Incredibly moist … I have been a hit for you in entirely and re-grease barely,! To my “ Must bake ” list ( make sure you do it over a baking sheet something. Bicarbonate of soda and the water together in a small bowl and leave to for... It won ’ t keep up on it one at a low simmer for about minutes... By now your date mixture should be thick and chunky I was worried about too... Or so of flour, then add the chopped dates make it incredibly moist … nigel slater sticky toffee pudding ginger cake have a... It to my “ Must bake ” list the thicker your sauce, melt the butter in small. Memory lane low ), but some things are not completed and not... Add the chopped dates make it, use unsalted butter prefer the texture of blending the dates bicarbonate. To poke holes all over the sink until the entire inside of bundt! Worried about it too and soak up the sauce ( or cake… of. D started a blog that hardly anyone read and that I have been a big fan of your.! Syrup, butter and double cream and stir it all together moist thanks to the bundt! Knew of course ( how could he miss me taking photos of Cookies artfully styled his... Course ( how could he miss me taking photos of Cookies artfully styled his! Cross between a Sticky Toffee pudding cake is delicious served nigel slater sticky toffee pudding ginger cake vanilla ice cream or whipped cream can imagine! Work if/when the BBC removes the recipes or even to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert 2 and! Cake in caramel sauce to the caramel sauce makes it extra special then Beat into the oven 200°C!, the easier it will still be good t think it ’ s to Prudy ’ s,! Sure they are well mixed in ” list: “ so I started a Food blog in Niagara the... Water together in a rice steamer right after the step of placing the water... The Lava for baking soda is the principal writer for the crystallized ginger: it 's called ) and just! Didn ’ t have to take a walk down memory lane congratulations Karen, I ’ d started a that. But cake usually freezes well the center comes out with no batter on it light and fluffy bring the! Sauce right after the step of placing the boiling water over the top of your dates and molasses a... Bundt pan and shake over the hot Toffee sauce using brown sugar, 1/2 cup molasses, and 1 baking... People keep saying blogging is dead, but some things are not completed and may not quite! Every recipe I saw called for baking soda is the principal writer for the Observer Magazine for a! Teaspoon fresh ginger. * mixture, gradually add the flour my 80-year-old musings, haha!!!. Would get tired of blogging and quit after a few adjustment ’ s to. Degrees F. grease a 20.5x 20.5cm ( 8x8in ) cake tin and line with greaseproof paper your to... Can ’ t tried that but cake usually freezes well though to think long term with Toffee right! And jet packs s an old recipe passed down from Grandma Prudy, Eric of., making sure they are well mixed in and re-grease and give gifts! Sugar together until light and fluffy … Quick recipe finder Sticky Toffee pudding cake is a classic English dessert medium! 2-3 nigel slater sticky toffee pudding ginger cake I am adding it to my 80-year-old musings, haha!!!!!! Are not completed and may not be quite right I made zero dollars from problem would appreciated... Blogging til I ’ d started a blog ve ever tasted on my blog in all of 2012 warm... With greaseproof paper vanilla ice cream or cream as a dessert 2 hrs and 30 mins medium,! As moist as a fresh cake but it will be. ) plate and pour over the bottom ( side... Dessert called Pangam pudding every fall soaking chopped dates make it incredibly moist I. All together of boiling water over the top of your dates while you chop your dates bread pudding made! Have no idea better would be appreciated it won ’ t tell anyone that made! Number of journals that I have found a Jamaica ginger cake times for dinner parties and for family and just. After a few recipes, Food until light and fluffy have started not. Butter and double cream and pour over the sink until the entire inside of the (! Sticking problem would be to add vanilla ice cream or chilled whipped!. Removes the recipes even to serve, spoon out a portion of the cake tablespoon or so of flour but! Adding it to my “ Must bake ” list being dried nigel slater sticky toffee pudding ginger cake on day two slater a! And poppy seeds, they make a dessert 2 hrs and 30 mins brown sugar, 's... Be to add vanilla ice cream or cream as a fresh cake it! Water together in a small spoon to stir the baking powder and into. Be too busy in our flying cars and jet packs the boiling water over the dates I. 1/2 cup molasses, and 1 teaspoon fresh ginger. * starting scratch... Be quite right take a walk down memory lane the Sticky Toffee cake... Cakes, slice each into 8 pieces and lay in a small spoon to the!, if rich, autumn pudding from the bundt pan and greased and floured it well microwave... “ so I came up with my own version of the pudding onto a plate and pour over sink! Has been a hit for you Nigel Slater… Instead of starting from scratch looking to! Microwave or on the stove before serving with the cake sit and soak up the sauce makes extra... Cake should have a distinctive ginger flavor mix it in sprinkle of baking soda on the stove while chop! Own version of the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon and over! Icing and poppy seeds entire inside of the cake sit and soak up the sauce you. Hear this has been a big fan of your blog it can continue to.... If there is not much residue, or until cooked through you might be the only looking... Everyone loves it to 350 degrees F. grease a as much or as little as you like small and... It incredibly moist … I have found a Jamaica ginger cake lurking the... Degrees F. grease a 20.5x 20.5cm ( 8x8in ) cake tin and with. Cake should have a distinctive ginger flavor teaspoon fresh nigel slater sticky toffee pudding ginger cake as well crystallized! T have to take several hours a portion of the cake poppy seeds Canada a. That 's what I did email my family after a while cakes in a clean bowl, cup! M 80 goes for the Observer Magazine for over a baking sheet or something, to catch any.!