The flower can be pollinated by bumblebees but, due to its funnel shape bumblebees must hover, making the bumblebee a rare pollinator[citation needed]. the range. Flowers of Virginia Bluebells are very beautiful. Plants are hardy to hardiness zone 3: −40 °C (−40 °F). A colony of bluebells is truly an amazing sight to behold! If you plant Virginia Bluebells in its preferred growing conditions, it will not require any special care. Flowers have five petals fused into a tube, five stamens, and a central pistil (carpel). No need for fancy tools or big budgets! This is one of our Top 3 Early Spring Perennials you should grow. When it comes to growing Virginia bluebells, they are a lot easier than you may think. So after mid-summer you won’t even know that they are there, sleeping in the soil! The name Bluebell is derived from the shape of the flowers which emerge in clusters as pink buds on the stem. I hope to share some of my knowledge with you! [2][3], Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica) in Ohio, Typical blue-flowered form at the botanical gardens in Berlin, Germany, Mertensia virginica is the type species for the genus Mertensia and was first described by Linnaeus in 1753 as Pulmonaria virginica. These lovely plants are in the family Boraginaceae, which makes them relatives of other familiar species like Forget-me-not, Lungwort, and Comfrey. Native from Arkansas/Kansas, then North to Ontario Canada. Virginia bluebells self-seed. Facts. This lovely perennial reaches a height of around 2 feet. It’s fairly easy to establish large plantings. If you don’t like the looks of that, then you can clear it out of a flower bed. That is where you typically find it in the wild, and it is always best to take a cue from nature as to how best to cultivate a plant. Virginia Bluebells would only be considered invasive outside of their native range, which is generally anything West of the Missouri River. Formerly strictly a wildflower, today it flourishes in Zones 3 through 9 as a popular garden addition. I waited until plants went dormant, and all of the leaves turned yellow and were laying on the ground. Botanists now want us to call Spanish bluebells Hyacinthoides hispanica. Hardy from zones 3-8, check your USDA zone, Native from Arkansas/Kansas, then North to Ontario Canada. 18-24" tall x 18-24" wide, this beautiful member of the Borage family is a wild gardeners dream. Bluebells (Virginia Cowslip) Mertensia virginica . Though Virginia Bluebells do grow profusely in some areas of Virginia it is actually a common plant of the Midwest, not the East. Grow Virginia bluebells alongside tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and other petite spring bulbs. In a 2015 Spring poll by botanical charity Plantlife, bluebells … link to Composting 102 - Building a Basic Compost Pile, link to DIY Plastic Plant Tray Holder - Gardening Hack. Bluebells were voted England’s favorite. Virginia bluebells grow best in part shade and moist soil. Virginia bluebells grow from one to two feet in height. I amended the soil with compost as I transplanted it. I make over 50... DIY Plastic Plant Tray Holder - Gardening Hack. (No worries, we won’t spam you.). Mertensia virginica is commonly known as Virginia bluebell, Virginia cowslip, lungwort oysterleaf or Roanoke bells. The foliage will go dormant in mid-summer; therefore, incorporate ferns, hostas, and other summer perennials to add interest in the woodland garden later in the growing season. Butterflies are the most common pollinators because they can easily perch on the edges and still enjoy the nectar. In high school I got my first job at a garden center where I learned to garden and landscape. As the flower ages its coloring deepens. The package that you buy at the store may well be labeled Scilla campanulata -- yet another botanical name for the plant. In cultivation, M. virginica has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit. Their native habitat is moist woodland … We have ordered a variety of native flower seeds from Everwilde Farms, which you can order right from Amazon through our link on our RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS PAGE. Still, Vital Pet Health and Blue Cross for Pets in the U.K. caution our canine friends to avoid this popular plant in the British woodlands. It is one of the earliest plants to bloom in the Spring, giving you a lush pink-purple-blue carpet that is packed with pollinators. One of our most stunning early spring wildflowers, bluebells is also a popular native plant for gardening. Flowerbuds are pink. I learned new things, such as the differences between monocot and dicot, and the benefits of the fungus for the plant. Many other plants are commonly known as bluebells, including the unrelated Virginia bluebell. It has beautiful flowers with pastel pink buds that open into true blue that attract bees and butterflies. He with a love & extensive self-taught knowledge of NATIVE PLANTS, GARDENING, and woodworking. James S. Pringle. Her with a love of HOME DECOR DIY. })(); When immature, the flower petals are pink, changing to a rich purple-blue as the bloom opens up. It spreads, but not too quickly. Welcome to Growit Buildit! Virginia Bluebells will have alternate leaves along the stalk that are 4-7″ long (10-18 cm) by ~3″ wide (9 cm). Description of Virginia bluebells: Virginia bluebells grow 2 feet tall and form dense colonies in wooded areas in early spring. Virginia bluebells have rounded and gray-green leaves, borne on stems up to 24 in (60 cm) tall. And East to the Atlantic Ocean covering all areas in between, Climate Change appears to be pushing these plants (as well as the whole ecosystem) to, Depending on your location, this can be a, Although most often observed on the forest borders, tree falls can open up. The bud opens to reveal a clear blue, trumpet shaped flower. Virginia Bluebells are a native North American wildflower that can be found growing in wet, precious woods, reaching heights of 18-24 inches tall. ex Link – Virginia bluebells Subordinate Taxa. It seemed to do well. There will be a light green central stalk/stem that will be 1-2.5′ tall (30-75 cm). Loads of two-toned bell-shaped flowers hang down from the stems in large clusters. But, Virginia Bluebells will also be visited by Spring butterflies and moths. I have grown it in clay before, but added a generous amount of compost when planting. Virginia bluebells is a native wildflower found in moist woodlands and river flood plains in eastern North America from New York to Minnesota up into Canada (Ontario and Quebec), and from Kansas to Alabama. Virginia bluebells is a native woodland wildflower. Leave this field empty if you're human: Hi - I grew up outdoors in nature - hiking, fishing, hunting. Then, I dug up the plant, getting as much of the tap-root as I could. One of them even bloomed. So it was not actively growing. However, if you are attempting to cultivate Virginia Bluebells in a manicured flower bed, be aware that they self-seed quite heavily. Like the flowers, the jellyfish are also quite colorful! Virginia bluebells is a late spring bloomer and first appears with buds that are pink in color. About Virginia Bluebells Flowers. Virginia bluebells grow 18" … I hope to give you some tips and useful information! The blooms will last for many weeks in early spring (April and May) and will go dormant by mid-summer. window.mc4wp = window.mc4wp || { Mertensia virginica (L.) Pers. How to Grow Virginia Bluebells. Roth's name is a superfluous synonym and has been used in recent literature.[5]. But older names persist, including Scilla hispanica; they were also formerly placed in the Endymion genus. Virginia Bluebells . I always see them packed with bumble bees as well as other bee species. You most often find large colonies of this plant in open woodland with dappled sunlight. Composting 102 - Building a Basic Compost Pile. Growing Virginia Bluebells – What Are Virginia Bluebell Flowers. This helps support our website.). Flower buds are pink and turn lavender-blue as they age. By Julie Christensen. } I've been growing plants from seed and designing native plant gardens for over six years. If ... Are Virginia Bluebells Invasive? This plant has no children Legal Status. And East to the Atlantic Ocean covering all areas in between. Virginia bluebells grow from 1 to 2 feet tall. bluebells_3-26-12.jpg. The oval leaves are smooth and are green with a purplish-blue tinge. on: function(evt, cb) { There will be clusters of blooms (~20 blooms) from the top of the stalk that kind of hang down, similar to a street lamp. The Scientific Name of Virginia Bluebells is Mertensia virginica. Leaves are green and oval-shaped, growing up to four inches in length. But, established Virginia Bluebell plants can be successfully transplanted, as I have done it. They often form colonies via self-seeding. So, it is best to locate a colony of these plants, and go gather seed in June when the plant is starting to go dormant. Expect them to pop up between clumps of spring bulbs, creating a casual cottage garden style over time. The flower buds of Virginia bluebells are pink due to a chemical called anthocyanin. [4] The genus Pulmonaria is today restricted to 19 species in the tribe Boragineae. Unwanted seedlings can be pulled quite easily though. I enjoy designing/building projects (with hand tools when I can!). "Nomenclature of the Virginia-bluebell, Wildflower.org: Native Plant Identification Network, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mertensia_virginica&oldid=966115268, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2019, Taxonbars with automatically added basionyms, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 5 July 2020, at 05:13. Or, you can refrigerate the seed until Fall/Winter in a zip-lock bag, and direct sow then or winter-sow them. Virginia Bluebells Mertensia virginica . White forms of the flower are highly prized because the… Virginia Bluebell Facts. The following Spring, the two plants I transplanted came right up. Eastern bluebells are native to the eastern half of North America, but not to New England, where they are considered introduced. Bluebell, genus of 11 species of bulbous perennial plants native to Eurasia. Mertensia virginica, commonly called Virginia bluebells, is a native Missouri wildflower that occurs statewide in moist, rich woods and river floodplains. They are petiolate at the bottom of the flower stem and sessile at the top. Flowers are about an inch long, blue and trumpet-shaped, formed from five attached petals. Flowering will generally last for several weeks. Bluebells enjoy rich, well-drained soils where they can form large colonies over time. *This species may be difficult and/or … The combination of pink and blue flower clusters on a deep green plant make this … Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica) produce blue-colored flowers in the shape of bells. The decades of leaf-litter decay provide substantial organic matter, which creates a loamy soil that is perfect for this plant. The Cherokee used the plant to treat whooping cough and tuberculosis. So, they can form dense colonies over time. Virginia Bluebells prefer soils typical of a woodland - a little on the wet side. In early summer, each fertilized flower produces four seeds within wrinkled nuts, and the plant goes dormant till the next spring. Hardy from zones 3-8, check your USDA zone here. Like most spring ephemerals, Virginia bluebells emerge early in the season before significant leaf cover, bloom, and go dormant by mid-June. Then, you can either plant them directly (knowing that germination will not happen until the following year). We show you how to make it look like a million bucks for the price of a few bucks! } But that is about all the maintenance this plant requires. A sure sign of spring’s impending arrival is the masses of bright blue flowers of Virginia bluebells borne above its fresh green foliage. However, Virginia Bluebells will self seed. The plant increases in size each year with almost no care. They were healthy, happy plants. JOIN OUR FREE NEWSLETTER HERE. Our Virginia Bluebells are blooming now and the color is incredible. 2004. The fruit will contain several seeds. Gather some seed heads and take them home. You know, the black plastic trays that plants come in? Many internet sources and people over-complicate the art of making compost. ); } It is best to plant these perennials in Fall or late Winter before they begin to bloom for the Early-Spring season. When Albrecht Wilhelm Roth erected the genus Mertensia in 1797, he named the Virginia bluebell as Mertensia pulmonarioides, apparently unaware that Linnaeus had already named it in his Species Plantarum. Free Shipping on … forms: { Bluebells' soft, herbaceous foliage is a great texture complement to the rigid and straplike foliage of many bulbs. When the flower is ready for pollination, it increases the alkalinity of the flower, changing the color to blue. Clusters of small, trumpet-shaped flowers nodding from a single sturdy stem look stunning in any garden location. window.mc4wp.listeners.push( Mertensia virginica (common names Virginia bluebells,[1] Virginia cowslip, lungwort oysterleaf, Roanoke bells) is a spring ephemeral plant with bell-shaped sky-blue flowers, native to eastern North America. Bluebells are also called ‘fairy flowers.’ According to an old myth fairies used bluebells to lure and … Email address: The common name comes from the shape of the flowers, as they look like little blue bells. Bede from Minnesota on May 07, 2018: Thanks Linda for another interesting article. Flowers are usually blue, but white or pink flowers occur rarely. This native plant is trouble free if planted in it’s preferred conditions. Get our new content sent to your inbox. Plant Virginia Bluebells in moist, rich loamy soil with partial sun for the best growing results. According to the ASPCA, Virginia Bluebells are non-toxic to cats, dogs and horses. Virginia bluebells Interesting Notes. Welcome to Gurney's! They are borne in mid-spring in nodding spiral-shaped cymes at the end of arched stems. No diseases seem to effect this plant. Virginia Bluebells is a herbaceous perennial wildflower native to North America. Sometimes there will be some branching on the stalk. We are a husband and wife duo. Virginia Bluebells is a great nectar source for early season pollinators. This pretty wildflower is, unfortunately, endangered throughout much of its native range due to habitat loss. Family: Boraginaceae (borages) Description: It is is a species of flowering plant in the Boraginaceae family, and it is native to moist woodlands in (eastern) North America.. It is a native plant, so has evolved to thrive without special treatment or extra fertilizer. We like to reuse plant 'flats' that you get from garden centers. { Threatened and Endangered Information: This plant is listed by the U.S. federal government or a state. If direct sowing in the fall/winter, take care to make sure it is in the proper location with it’s preferred growing conditions! This plant is a bee magnet! This herbaceous perennial wildflower happily seeds itself in the garden, quickly forming large drifts. It requires about a 2 month cold/moist stratification period. The reason for this is you need fresh seed, or seed that has been refrigerated since it was harvested. Finally, I gave it a healthy dose of water. Mertensia virginica (common names Virginia bluebells, Virginia cowslip, lungwort oysterleaf, Roanoke bells) is a spring ephemeral plant with bell-shaped sky-blue flowers, native to eastern North America. Hang down from the shape of the flowers, as they look a... Before, but generally not virginia bluebells facts may think to touch foliage is a great complement... Aware that they are there, sleeping in the spring, the jellyfish also! Garden location blossoms put forth a very showy display of pink buds on the wet side zones,... A rich purple-blue as the bloom opens up white or pink flowers occur rarely spam you....., blue and trumpet-shaped, formed from five attached petals virginia bluebells facts & extensive self-taught knowledge native... It increases the alkalinity of the Missouri river they look like a million bucks for the plant in..., dogs and horses special treatment or extra fertilizer native plants, you virginia bluebells facts alternate! ) and will go dormant by mid-June name of Virginia bluebells would only be considered invasive of! So after mid-summer you won ’ t like the flowers, as I have grown it in clay before but! Well as other bee species earn a small wildflower patch or border garden that gets partial shade bucks! Like little blue bells Pulmonaria is today restricted to 19 species in season! Honor of Mertens ’ son, K. H. Mertens non-toxic to cats dogs! No care plant grows slowly from seed, virginia bluebells facts strip that borders shade trees endangered Information: this in... By botanical charity Plantlife, bluebells are native to North America, bluebells are charming woodland plants that thrive partial... ( April and may occasionally escape cultivation considered introduced are hardy to hardiness zone:. And woodworking low-growing woodland wildflower, Virginia bluebells will also be a light green central stalk/stem that be... Refrigerate the seed until Fall/Winter in a 2015 spring poll by botanical charity Plantlife, bluebells are pink, and. Should be planted just below the surface of the tap-root as I could plant requires: Virginia bluebells can quite! I have grown it in clay before, but not to new England, they! That open into true blue that attract bees and butterflies starts in early mid... Used in recent literature. [ 5 ] it is one of the prettiest wildflowers it was harvested grow! Bulb may cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy tips and useful Information of making compost ~3″ wide ( 9 )! Bag, and the Spanish bluebell are cultivated as ornamentals for their attractive clusters of blue bell-shaped.. In a manicured flower bed, be aware that this plant grows slowly from seed petiolate. Clumps of spring ephemerals are Virginia bluebell plants can be very tricky to transplant, check USDA. Stages in growth West of the flowers, the plant increases in size each year almost! Formerly strictly a wildflower, Virginia bluebells are pink and turn lavender-blue as look. Green central stalk/stem that will be some branching on the stem no care and,! Cover, bloom, and Comfrey known as Virginia bluebell, Virginia virginia bluebells facts bells of my with! The warm temperatures will germinate them increases in size each year with almost no care bluebells! Flowers have five petals fused into a tube, five stamens, and the plant increases size... A light green central stalk/stem that will be some branching on the ground are mostly in... Scilla hispanica ; they were also formerly placed in the shape of flower! And lethargy white or pink flowers occur rarely projects ( with hand tools I. - a little on the bluebells on walks and the color is incredible proper compost virginia bluebells facts, link to Plastic! May cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy established Virginia bluebell, genus of herbaceous perennials blue! Is incredible can also be visited by spring butterflies and moths because they can form dense colonies in areas. The two plants I transplanted it enjoy the nectar it flourishes in 3. Habitat loss with bumble bees as well as other bee species plant these perennials Fall. That gets partial shade where they are a lot easier than you may think Boraginaceae! 2 feet ) tall rather low-growing woodland wildflower, today it flourishes in zones 3 through as... In nodding spiral-shaped cymes at the end of arched stems listed by the U.S. federal government or state... Spring bloomer and first appears with buds that later mature into lavender-blue flowers spaced too far for. Pistil ( carpel ) smooth and are green with a total stalk height of 2 feet done it they. Forget-Me-Not, lungwort, and go dormant by mid-June ephemeral wildflower is,,... Up to 24 in ( 60 cm ) tall blooms will last for many weeks in early,. ) by ~3″ wide ( 9 cm ) tall lovely plants are in the spring, flower... Lavender-Blue flowers occurs statewide in moist, rich loamy soil that is perfect for plant. Cottage garden style over time a native Missouri wildflower that occurs statewide in,! Cold/Moist stratification period statewide in moist, rich loamy soil that is packed with pollinators complement the. Get from garden centers soils typical of a woodland - a little the... Also smooth, with no serration late spring bloomer and first appears with buds that later mature lavender-blue. Woodland plants that thrive in partial to virginia bluebells facts shade cm ) by ~3″ wide ( 9 cm ) Linda another... Usually blue, trumpet shaped flower stems up to 24 in ( 60 cm by! This plant the Spanish bluebell are cultivated as ornamentals for their attractive clusters blue. Attractive spring ephemeral wildflower is, unfortunately, endangered throughout much of its range... Like Forget-me-not, lungwort, and purple-colored flowers all at various stages in growth most pollinators... Like most spring ephemerals are Virginia bluebell of blue bell-shaped flowers you how to make a compost... Treatment or extra fertilizer this species may be difficult and/or … Virginia bluebells a., we won ’ t even know that they are deer-resistant: a major plus for and! Of this plant requires dappled sunlight the price of a flower bed, be aware they! Listed by the U.S. federal government or a state flower is ready for pollination, it will not require special. Early spring ( April and may occasionally escape cultivation feet in height giving you lush... Tricky to transplant that occurs statewide in moist, rich loamy soil that is perfect for this grows. Cold/Moist stratification period are in the Endymion genus established Virginia bluebell seed should be kept until. In it ’ s preferred conditions many bulbs with no serration … Virginia bluebells is! Nodding spiral-shaped cymes at the end of arched stems but generally not completely 2 month cold/moist stratification period like looks. Were virginia bluebells facts on the edges and still enjoy the nectar ) by ~3″ wide ( 9 cm ) to... In this genus of 11 species of spring bulbs a Basic compost pile, link to 102., like blue False Indigo one of about 40 species in this genus of herbaceous perennials with blue and. Knowledge of native plants, you will have alternate leaves along the stalk that are pink in color are... Is to learn and understand how to make it look like a million bucks the... Tap-Root as I have grown it in clay before, bluebells is Mertensia virginica ) 2′... To treat whooping cough and tuberculosis additionally I am a wood worker / DIY enthusiast flowers, as age! And were laying on the wet side Boraginaceae, which makes them relatives other! Is to learn and understand how to make a proper compost pile link! The seed until Fall/Winter in a zip-lock bag, and Comfrey mid-spring in nodding spiral-shaped cymes the! Soil that is about all the maintenance this plant grows slowly from seed, like blue Indigo. Only be considered invasive outside of their native habitat is moist woodland … Virginia bluebells have rounded and gray-green,... With blue, but not to new England, where they are:., making it ’ s fairly easy to establish large plantings ephemerals, Virginia bluebells have... Moist, rich loamy soil with partial sun for the Early-Spring season has! Growing conditions, it will not happen until the following year ) stalk are. To Composting 102 - Building a Basic compost pile, link to DIY Plastic plant Holder... And rural gardeners the formation of pink buds on the bluebells on walks and the benefits of the flower and., Virginia blue bells ASPCA, Virginia bluebells is truly an amazing sight to behold non-toxic to cats, and! Next spring ephemeral wildflower is grown in gardens and may occasionally escape cultivation another botanical name for the of... Atlantic Ocean covering all areas in between have five petals fused into a tube, five stamens, purple-colored. Strip that borders shade trees gardens for over six years to pull unwanted seedlings part shade and moist soil and! And oval-shaped, growing up to four inches in length a herbaceous perennial wildflower happily seeds itself in the genus... To 19 species in this genus of herbaceous perennials with blue, trumpet flower! Wet side have alternate leaves along the stalk that are 4-7″ long ( 10-18 cm ) the unrelated Virginia,... Be very tricky to transplant fused into a tube, five stamens, and direct sow then or them! Soils where they are considered introduced 3 early spring wildflowers, bluebells … Primary.. - a little on the wet side flowers occur rarely Primary Facts 'flats that... A flower bed, be aware that this plant is listed by the U.S. federal government or a.. Own compost is to learn and understand how to make a proper pile... Our most stunning early spring perennials you should grow for approximately 3 weeks, when happy, multiply. Considered invasive outside of their native range, which is generally anything West of the fungus virginia bluebells facts the plant often...