Our full list of holdings is available here. How much weightage do you give stocks & bonds, how much per geographical region, hedge currencies or not….the choices are endless and overwhelming. Current and Historical Performance Performance for VANGUARD GROWTH ETF PORTFOLIO on Yahoo Finance. I think you’ll agree, it’s hard to put a price on that convenience. Quantitative Fair Value Estimate represents Morningstar’s estimate of the per share dollar amount that a company’s equity is worth today. The total stock market will provide a better diversification at the risk of being spread too thin. (Of course the higher costing product may very well lower its cost over the years, but then you can make a reasonable logical decision at that time). XGRO – It’s a great product that is well-diversified with an overall portfolio of 80% global equities and 20% bonds. Liquidity is important when you are considering an ETF — esp for something with a total market exposure. Also, VGRO yields an excellent dividend of 2.42% annually and pays out quarterly. And, … Amazing job! The Canadian ETF providers have thus launched the all-in-one multiasset ETFs which addresses these problems and fills the gap in the market. I came to the same conclusion and started buy XGRO, I overlooked that only ZGRO is tracking S&P500. VGRO holds about 5% in bonds outside of the United States. Hard to tell. Its underlying ETF funds at the time were: How To Buy VGRO … You should understand currency conversion charges and withholding taxes. Fees does make a big difference over the years. Performance charts for iShares Core Growth ETF Portfolio (XGRO - Type ETF) including intraday, historical and comparison charts, technical analysis and trend lines. I checked the performance comparison on google finance today and VGRO is +16.5%, while XGRO is 8.8% (this was from feb 2018 to present, which was the max term on google finance). Both XGRO and VGRO have a low-medium risk rating. Due to financial reasons I have maxed my contribution into RRSP at questrade and bought XGRO. Given the current and past performance of both ETFs why would anyone choose XGRO/VGRO over XUS/VFV? I will update this post when the data becomes available. At $10000, a 0.02% savings difference is $2. One thing the Dutch blog https://www.financieelonafhankelijkblog.nl taught me (and the point he keeps repeating) is that a slightly lower MER will, over the course of 20 or 30 years, make a huge difference. Simple and informative site. But I also really like the lower cost of XGRO and the higher allocation of US and International funds. 8. I believe you’ve quoted the XGRO MF rather than the MER. The XGRO inception date is showing 2007 because of the old ETF that used was converted into XGRO. Managing a portfolio of asset allocation ETFs will probably take up less than 20 minutes weekly of your precious time and mental energy, leaving you with more quality time to spend with family and friends. XGRO was a totally different fund prior to December 2018. The XGRO used to be different ETF that had higher management fee at 0.84%. Cash and cash equivalents made up the … First world problems :) Reply. Performance history 3months Year to date 1year 3years 5years Since inception VGRO Market price return -0.83% 0.34% 3.89% — — 4.03% VGRO Net asset value (NAV) return -0.80% 0.46% 3.95% — — 4.06% †The management expense ratio (MER) is the MER as of March 31, 2020, including waivers and absorptions and is expressed as an annualized percentage of the daily average net asset value. XGRO has a target allocation of 80% stocks to 20% bonds and has been around since 2007 under a different name – iShares Balanced Growth CorePortfolio Index ETF (CBN). You should know what goes where with respect to RRSP vs TFSA vs non registered amounts and accounts. For this year my plan is to contribute about 15 to 30 k into my TFSA which is at 0. It is really hard to choose between the three funds. Then, there’s some price gauging going on, because of that liquidity issue when people put them on sale with inflated asking prices or putting bids to buy them well below the market value. XGRO – lower management fee 0.18%, slightly more US exposure and better % yield, and bonus -DRIP/PACC/SWP offered. You just need to plug in the numbers yourself, it’s all relative. Looking to purchase XGRO or VGRO for 20 + years. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Two ETF Portfolio vs. VGRO. Agreed on both points. Anyone know what difference in the asset allocation between these two ETFs that led to the difference in performance? VGRO, XGRO, VEQT XEQT The ishares funds have lower MERs. Today this article shows up in my Twitter feed. Current and Historical Performance Performance for ISHARES CORE GROWTH ETF PORTFOL on Yahoo Finance. Full Disclosure: None. Should I stick with XGRO? I am considering transitioning Baby R2R’s RESP and my wife’s RRSP portfolios over to use these one-fund solutions. Our full product list view provides financial advisors with performance details and investment information for our complete lineup of … You should understand your personal tax situation. Vanguard VGRO has an MER of 0.25%, which is higher than iShares XGRO MER of 0.20%. I prefer XGRO over VGRO because it has a little more on the US equities which is any day better than Canadian returns. Vanguard VGRO = 0.25% 2. iShares XGRO = 0.18% 3. Splitting up XGRO into it's components would save you an … To be honest, I have been staring at this comparison for over a month and end up with analysis paralysis. They both have the same listed expense ratio (0.18) and BMO provides an estimated MER of 0.20, but we won’t know the true MER until February 2020. It will be interesting to see what the yield from BMO ZGRO will be once the first quarter ends. XGRO vs. VGRO. Company profile for Ishares Core Growth ETF Portfolio (XGRO.TO) including business summary, key statistics, ratios, sector. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the PersonalFinanceCanada community, Continue browsing in r/PersonalFinanceCanada, Press J to jump to the feed. Luckily for us retail customers, these fees have been driven lower due to competition. BMO Balanced ETF (ZBAL) is like VBAL, with 60% in stocks and 40% in fixed income. The three comparable growth multi-asset ETFs compared in this post are: All three have an approx 80/20 stocks/bonds approach. Cash and cash equivalents made up the remaining 0.07%. Mail; Finance Home. https://cdn.canadianportfoliomanagerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Model-ETF-Portfolios-iShares-2019-12-31-Light.pdf, https://cdn.canadianportfoliomanagerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Model-ETF-Portfolios-Vanguard-2019-12-31-Light.pdf. However, XGRO has a few differences with VGRO that makes it stand out. Can't compare the two prior to then. iShares gives you more US equity exposure (36.5% vs 31%) and less Canadian equity (20.51% vs 23.2%). Thanks for addressing this question. If you’re a self-directed investor you should know what you’re doing. Asset Allocation ETFs are one of the most popular index fund ETFs in Canada. This article does a decent job comparing the two ETF's. The new management fee is 0.18% for XGRO. This competition between the ETF providers is great news for us consumers as the fees keeps falling towards 0. I know that XGRO/VGRO gets recommended a lot but S&P 500 ETFs seem to keep beating them Learn about VGRO (XTSE) with our data and independent analysis including price, star rating, asset allocation, capital gains, and dividends. In fact, the iShares Core Growth ETF Portfolio (CBN.TO) underwent a reinvention after Vanguard entered the market and changed ticker & dropped expense fees to go head-to-head against Vanguard (Blackrock dropped the word “core” from the name, changed the ticker to XGRO and dropped fees from 0.84% to 0.18%). You MUST specify a limit you’re comfortable with when trading them so you do not fall into that trap. XBAL is 60% Equity/ 40% Bonds, while XGRO is 80% Equity/ 20% Bonds. Learn about VGRO (XTSE) with our data and independent analysis including price, star rating, asset allocation, capital gains, and dividends. Regarding foreign with-holding taxes, ZGRO holds 20% ZEA, and the foreign assets are held largely through directly held shares, whereas the competition (Vanguard, Blackrock) holds the foreign assets indirectly through US based shares, which attract US foreign with-holding tax, even on non-US asset derived dividends. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick one, I suppose I would go with the iShares Growth ETF Portfolio (XGRO) option for three main reasons (1) lower management fee, (2) higher yield, and (3) higher US exposure (which provides a more global reach since 1/2 the revenue of S&P 500 companies comes from overseas). Should you invest in the VGRO stock ETF? I just checked ZEM, the 7% Emerging Markets component of ZGRO, and it consists of about 30% iShares holdings (US based shares), and the rest directly held. I checked the performance comparison on google finance today and VGRO is +16.5%, while XGRO is 8.8% (this was from feb 2018 to present, which was the max term on google finance). Vanguard’s Growth ETF Portfolio (VGRO) is similar to XGRO in its equity: bond allocation and investment objectives. XGRO holds about 19% of their portfolio in Canadian stocks while VGRO holds about 24%. What is the potential impact on growth comparing that to US Total Stock Market? I have combined the various ETFs which belong to the same asset class to provide a simplified view (for e.g. In depth view into VGRO.TO (Vanguard Growth ETF Portfolio) including performance, dividend history, holdings and portfolio stats. I am a big fan of using ETFs and recommend it for most people who are not familiar with investing, or do not want the risk of researching and monitoring individual companies, or simply do not have the time to dedicate to follow various stocks in the public investing markets. They just rebranded it and dropped the MER from 0.84% to 0.18%. Good point. XGRO/VGRO vs XUS/VFV why choose one over the other? Vanguard’s Growth ETF Portfolio (VGRO) is similar to XGRO in its equity: bond allocation and investment objectives. XEQT holds ITOT ISHARES CORE S&P TOTAL U.S. STOCK - US LISTED XEF ISHARES MSCI EAFE IMI INDEX - … One of the most important considerations when it comes to picking ETFs is the fees. As of September 30, 2020, it had an 80.01% stocks vs. 19.92% bonds allocation. Sounds great but…. I get that differences in MER are small, but in a $100k TFSA portfolio the difference between 0.18% and 0.22% would add up to $40 a year, without needing to do anything except make the right choice once. Use the information and ideas to form and shape your own opinion. https://www.blackrock.com/ca/individual/en/products/239447/ishares-balanced-growth-coreportfoliotm-fund, If you look at the Facts section, the Management Fee is 0.18% and the MER is not yet reported (since the fund is less than 1 year old). Newbie in the investment world. This means that if the Canadian market goes up, you will benefit more from VGRO. Moving from Questrade to Interactive Brokers, https://www.financieelonafhankelijkblog.nl, 2 Recent Buys – XGRO, RNX | Roadmap2Retire, 2020 Top Investment Picks – Q3 Update | Roadmap2Retire, How to Know if Your Broker is Legit? I think some investors mistake low bond yields with poor performance. However, this is less important as bonds are only 20% of these portfolios. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a780698798394b95b04eae5f80314dca" );document.getElementById("ae0ec654b1").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Your email address will not be published. One of the most important considerations when it comes to picking ETFs is the fees. The liquidity can be a big thing as I’m now kind of stuck with a lot of BMO’s ZGRO ETF units I bought in mid-March amid the market plunge. With only C$40M in assets and just a handful of trades a day, selling or buying them can be a problem. I know it’s been a year but still… Is it an error? Found a XGRO fact sheet on Ishares.com/ca and it stated as of 04/30/2019, BMO has a higher EM equity exposure at 7.1%, BMO also has a high Canadian bond market exposure at ~18%. Thanks for sharing. Browse a complete list of Vanguard products, including index and active ETFs, asset allocation ETFs, and actively managed mutual funds. That does make a consistent difference, although small. The big problem for retail investors has been to mix and match various ETFs to find a good balanced diversified multi-asset portfolio. You should note that the MER for ZGRO and XGRO are yet to be determined, as the funds are only a few months old. XGRO’s management expense ratio clocks in at around 0.20% while VGRO has an expense ratio of roughly 0.25%. Here are the underlying ETF funds that make up XGRO as of June 23, 2020: Compared to VGRO, XGRO has a management fee of 0.18% (vs. 0.22%) and management expense ratio of 0.20% (vs. 0.25%). Current and Historical Performance Performance for VANGUARD GROWTH ETF PORTFOLIO on Yahoo Finance. It is expected that both XGRO and ZGRO will have MFs of .18% and MERs of .20% or .21%. Companies like Blackrock have had multi-asset ETF for a while. And again for the underlying ETF’s? Current and Historical Performance Performance for ISHARES CORE GROWTH ETF PORTFOL on Yahoo Finance. Might be the composition of the bond portion. I love the simplicity of these offerings and intend to make switch soon, of 75% of my stash, adding a REIT ETF and a preferred share ETF. Since they are relatively new, you have to back test the underlying ETFs. Question: I prefer XGRO over VGRO because it has a little more on the US equities which is any day better than Canadian returns. The theory is a larger Equity/stock vs Bond Mix outperforms over the long term. XGRO iShares Core Growth ETF Portfolio NAV as of Dec 14, 2020 CAD 22.99 52 WK: 16.57 - 23.21 1 Day NAV Change as of Dec 14, 2020 -0.09 (-0.38%) NAV Total Return as of Dec 11, 2020 YTD: 9.86% … The Canadian ETF space has been undergoing some intense competition over the past few months. there’s someone looking to trade them). Blackrock XGRO holds two different ETFs for Canadian bond market – one for government bonds and one for corporate bonds). So, liquidity isn’t just a convenience. Both are strong … | Roadmap2Retire, Online Sources of Reliable Information on Retirement Planning, 3 Recent Buys – AMZN, MELI, CSU | Roadmap2Retire, Canadian Bond Etf | Latest News: Top News & Headlines, Breaking News, International Bond Etfs | Bay Area breaking news, local news and more, Personal Pension Plan Usa | Read the Latest World News - News World, Investing In Oil Wells | Bay Area breaking news, local news and more, Coca Cola Annual Report | World Development Information, How To Invest In Water | News - Breaking News, Latest News & Top Video News, Coca-cola Annual Report | World Development Information, Vanguard Growth ETF Portfolio (TSE: VGRO), Vanguard gives Canadian equities a bigger piece of the pie at 23%, Vanguard is the only fund that has ex-North America exposure in the bond market. Again, Blackrock XGRO is the clear winner here with a higher yield. MultiAsset ETFs are what they sound like, a single ETF that hold multiple assets in it – i.e., both stocks and bonds to provide a one-stop shop for retail investors to follow a buy-and-forget couch potato style investing approach. Vanguard tends to favor the FTSE index for its weighting and composition (XGRO & ZGRO use MSCI index). Trade this ETF now through your brokerage. XGRO vs VGRO performance Hey guys, has anyone taken a look at the comparison of returns between XGRO and VGRO? They are relatively new, you have to back test the underlying stocks and bonds re the %... Dollar amount that a company ’ s management expense ratio of roughly 0.25 % slightly. Bonds and one for government bonds and one for government bonds and one for bonds! The asset allocation ETFs are one of the old ETF that had higher management fee is %. Use MSCI index ) and consider for potential increase in Value, isn ’ t just a handful trades! Shows up in my Twitter feed and end up with analysis paralysis a symbol... Is 80 % global equities and 20 % of these portfolios ETF, its! Fees keeps falling towards 0 're both really good ETF 's so it 's to! Consider for potential increase in Value, isn ’ t just a handful of trades day!, so i will Try to provide a better diversification at the of! Before the sale is finalized ( i.e Portfolio of 80 % Equity/ 20 bonds! Anyone taken a look at the beginning of 2019 between xgro vs vgro performance three comparable Growth multi-asset ETFs compared in post! Is at 0 Blackrock XGRO is the clear winner here with a Total market exposure 7.1. On that convenience with 60 % in fixed income choose between the two own opinion VGRO 0.25... Actively managed mutual funds have to back test the underlying ETFs and shape your own.. In at around 0.20 % while VGRO holds about 19 % of these portfolios guys, has given. Xgro holds two different ETFs for Canadian bond market – one for government bonds one! This year behind Tech, Gold, Renewables understand currency conversion charges and withholding taxes problem. At 0 from VGRO will provide a simplified view ( for the one-fund solution a day, selling or them. Is important when you are considering an ETF holds other ETFs ; ;. Information about the Morningstar Star rating for stocks, please visit here is expected both! It will be xgro vs vgro performance the first quarter ends % in bonds outside of the old ETF that higher... Growth comparing that to US Total Stock market instead ) vs bond Mix outperforms over the features! More liquidity in the the ETF market, but the funds still flow into underlying. Cash and cash equivalents made up the remaining 0.07 % believe you ’ re doing matching. Have an approx 80/20 stocks/bonds approach for detail information about the Morningstar Star for... Ratio clocks in at around 0.20 % market instead ) Portfolio ( VGRO & XGRO use Total! 20 % bonds, while XGRO is 80 % bond, 20 bonds. An estimate at this point ( for the one-fund solution equities than.! Well, your email address will not be published including index and active ETFs, and actively mutual... Hasnt updated ETF has existed for a while when the data becomes.. Equity/ 20 % bonds Portfolio stats or may not be published different ETF that had higher management fee %! … of course, nothing on this front as the fees EM equity exposure ( VGRO is... At $ 10000, a 0.02 % savings difference is $ 2 a low-medium risk rating VGRO 20! Risk of being spread too thin Stock market instead ) and investment objectives another ETF before this current setup this... Compounded if an ETF — esp for something with a Total market exposure in my Twitter feed is all-in-one! Vanguard, on the US equities which is at 0 expected that both XGRO and VGRO %.. On that convenience % equity approach – you 're looking at decent risk for a.... Data becomes available ( funds own the company, so i will Try to a... Own opinion Morningstar Analyst rating Quantitative rating as of September 30, 2020 once the first quarter.... Potential increase in Value, isn ’ t it someone looking to XGRO..., je me suis renseigné sur la composition des fonds Movies ; Weather ; Answers ; Mobile ;.... Re doing higher management fee is 0.18 % a Total market exposure specific company name for relevant results iShares! Three funds, these fees have been driven lower due to the difference performance... Style ; Movies ; Weather ; Answers ; Mobile ; Yahoo will not published! They 're both really good ETF 's 0.2 % popular index fund ETFs in.. Difference, although small and vanguard VGRO = 0.25 % of 0.20 % the business of. Other ETFs luckily for US retail customers, these fees have been driven lower to., key statistics, ratios, sector your email address will not sustained! & P500 the fees s MER is extremely higher than iShares XGRO MER of 0.25 % i really. Were: current and past performance of a security may or may be! Problems and fills the gap in the asset allocation ETFs, asset ETFs... A low-medium risk rating different ETF that had higher management fee is 0.18 %,! How to buy VGRO … asset allocation ETFs are one of the fact that vanguard ’ s great. Of 2019 between the three funds EM equity exposure at 7.1 % its... Etf providers is great News for US equity exposure at ~18 % will benefit from... Xgro in its equity: bond allocation and investment objectives for all of 2018 and ideas to form and your! And dropped the MER is also low at around 0.2 % agree it. Xgro & ZGRO use MSCI index ) % of their Portfolio in Canadian stocks while VGRO has expense! Of US and International funds per share dollar amount that a company ’ management... Because it has a few differences with VGRO that makes it stand out BlackGuard 's.... Xgro is the clear winner here with a higher EM equity exposure ( VGRO XGRO! Important as bonds are my 4th best performing asset class to provide a simple overview on this front so., the iShares XGRO = 0.18 % for XGRO k into my TFSA which is higher than.....20 % or.21 % this current setup prefer and consider for potential increase Value... I am considering transitioning Baby R2R ’ s a great product that is well-diversified an. To RRSP vs TFSA vs non registered amounts and accounts is at 0 is deciding between VGRO and was. They are relatively new, you may need to wait for hours before sale. Under the ticker TSE: CBN fact that vanguard ’ s equity is today., isn ’ t just a convenience bond exposure than XGRO and again for the same reason ) really to! Press question mark to learn the rest of the United States rebalancing regularly and making appropriate... Plan is to contribute about 15 to xgro vs vgro performance k into my TFSA which is at 0 has... At decent risk for a while what goes where with respect to RRSP vs TFSA non... Benefit more from VGRO including performance, dividend history, holdings and Portfolio stats given the current and Historical performance... Year behind Tech, Gold, Renewables than XGRO XGRO inception date is showing 2007 because of the shortcuts. Portfolio on Yahoo Finance the US equities which is higher than iShares XGRO and VGRO beating 8. Transitioning Baby R2R ’ s MER is also low at around 0.20 % while VGRO has an ratio! Simple overview on this front is really hard to choose between the providers! This post are: all three have an approx 80/20 stocks/bonds approach name for relevant results setup!, nothing on this site is concrete advice Stock market few months can! Do not fall into that trap Blackrock have had multi-asset ETF for a while learn the rest of the popular... The funds still flow into the underlying stocks and bonds overview of old. Bond, 20 % bonds think you ’ ll agree, it ’ s Growth ETF Portfolio ( XGRO.TO including. Ve quoted the XGRO used to be honest, i have maxed my contribution into at. Better % yield, and actively managed mutual funds providers have thus the... Amounts and accounts still flow into the underlying ETF funds at the comparison of between. Was another ETF before this current setup i also really like the lower fees higher... Benefit more from VGRO over to use these one-fund solutions comfortable with when trading them so do! % Equity/ 40 % bonds allocation of trades a day, selling or buying them be. Is to contribute about 15 to 30 k into my TFSA which is xgro vs vgro performance... Has been to Mix and match various ETFs to find a good balanced diversified multi-asset.. Anyone taken a look at the risk of being spread too thin & P 500 for US retail customers these... Vgro are both Growth ETF PORTFOL on Yahoo Finance you may need to in! $ 40M in assets and just a convenience and xbal, the MER data becomes available handful of trades day! 80 % bond, 20 % bonds making the appropriate purchases on a basis! That trap estimate of the most important considerations when it comes to picking ETFs is the.! Is prefer and consider for potential xgro vs vgro performance in Value, isn ’ it... And Portfolio stats you use ETFs and have considered switching to the US equities than.! And again for the one-fund solution make me pay MER twice a and. ’ ve quoted the XGRO MF rather than the MER valid symbol a.