Testing conducted by Apple in October 2020 using preproduction 13-inch MacBook Pro systems with Apple M1 chip, as well as production 1.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based 13-inch MacBook Pro … For comparison, the 16-inch MacBook Pro at just about any capacity will peak at 3150 megabytes per second read speeds, and about 2900 megabytes per second write speeds. When Apple updates the 13-inch MacBook Pro every year, it generally keeps one configuration from the previous year available in order to provide a more affordable entry-level option (even if the term 'affordable' is something of a moveable feast where Apple is concerned). The 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro is more of a 'speedbump' than a radical revamp, but Apple is clearly hoping to offer a tempting quad-core upgrade to owners of older dual-core models, as well as competing with newer rivals such as Microsoft's Surface range. Apple was quick on Wi-Fi 6 adoption on mobile devices but the same can't be said for the Mac line. beryllium free, Force Touch trackpad, If you don't need that power, skip the 13-inch MacBook Pro line altogether and buy the MacBook Air. Apple MacBook Air 13" - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 256GB SSD - Space Gray 10th Gen Quad-core Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 1.2GHz Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports 13.3 inch, 2560 x 1600 LED … This new configuration now includes a 10th generation, quad-core Core i5-1038NG7 processor running at 2.0GHz (up to 3.8GHz with TurboBoost), with integrated Iris Plus graphics, along with 16GB of RAM (running at a faster 3,733MHz) and a 512GB SSD. Even though you are paying $100 more, you still have an eighth-generation Intel processor instead of a 10th-generation, two Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of four, slower DDR3 RAM, worse graphics, and have no support for external 6K displays. It still has a full millimeter of key travel. 10 essential specs and options to consider before you go shopping, BlackBerry KEY2 LE review: Retro productivity with modern security and an affordable price, ​Honor 8X review: A notch above expectation, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme review: A powerful business laptop with a top-quality 4K screen, Doogee S80 hands-on: A waterproof, rugged walkie-talkie phone. Fortunately, the model with the 10th generation processors is an entirely different story. BFR/PVC-free, I’m surprised that Apple still sells that configuration. Retina display, The first-generation MacBook Pro … Maps, The new Magic Keyboard ditches the much-maligned 'butterfly' mechanism for a more ergonomic and reliable 'scissor' mechanism. Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Advertise on AI. The 720p FaceTime HD camera in the large bezel above the screen is due an update. Stocks, The 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro with new tenth-generation Intel processors is a powerful machine for the pro on the go, and is an ideal mix of power and portability. Siri, It is made of a 3520M Sandy Bridge which is a multi-core microprocessor. Those who want to configure their own MacBook Pro 2020 base model can choose an 8th gen Core i7 processor for $300, 16GB of RAM for $100 and 512GB, 1TB or 2TB of storage for $200, … By registering, you agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices outlined in the Privacy Policy. The MacBook Pro "Core i7" 3.1 13-Inch (Early 2015 Retina Display) originally was a "configure-to-order" configuration for both the MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.7 13-Inch (Early 2015 Retina Display) and MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.9 13-Inch … True Tone display, In case you missed it, or have skipped all coverage of it, Apple has updated the keyboard design. As always, though, Apple's memory upgrades are very expensive, costing £400/$400 to add another 16GB of RAM. Please review our terms of service to complete your newsletter subscription. For the best deals, be sure to visit the AppleInsider Apple Price Guides to find the lowest 13-inch MacBook Pro prices. © 2020 ZDNET, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. During the Handbrake video transcoding test, the MacBook turned a 4K video to 1080p in 12 minutes and 43 … Apple GarageBand, This Apple Macbook Pro features a 14 nm “Broadwell” 3.1 GHz Intel “Core i7” processor (5557U), with retina display of 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560×1600 native … (update twice in one year), Strong iPhone 12 demand pushes Qualcomm to number one chip designer revenue, macOS Big Sur update bug is causing issues for Mac system administrators, Apple ProRAW coming to Instagram on Friday, Android 2021 flagship Qualcomm 888 processor isn't as fast as the iPhone 12, US government designates drone maker DJI as a national security concern, Apple publishes safety guide for protecting against others accessing your data, Steve Wozniak's handwritten Apple II schematics fetch over $630,000 at auction, Morgan Stanley raises AAPL to $144 on iPhone 12 strength in China, Closeup of the MacBook Pro logo below the gorgeous Retina display, Magic Keyboard on the 13-inch MacBook Pro (2020) has a scissor switch design, a physical escape key, and an inverted T design for the arrow keys, Geekbench scores for the 2019 and 2020 high-end MacBook Pro 13-inch, Cinebench R20 results for the 2020 MacBook Pro 13-inch high-end, quad-core 2.3GHz tenth-gen Intel Core i7-1068NG7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 1TB of storage, doubling the RAM to 16GB and the storage to 512GB, up to $200 off every configuration, plus bonus savings on AppleCare, M1 benchmarks prove Apple Silicon outclasses nearly all current Intel Mac chips, Playstation 5 versus Xbox Series X - which is the best gaming console for the Apple user, Apple Silicon MacBook Air versus 13-inch MacBook Pro - which to buy, Compared: New Apple Silicon MacBook Air versus Intel MacBook Air, Compared: New Apple Silicon Mac mini versus Intel Mac Mini, Testing the new HomePod mini music Handoff feature in iOS 14.4, How to get the most out of your new AirPods Max, Hands on: Getting to know Apple's AirPods Max, Review: Zendure SuperBase 500 is our go-to power accessory, Review: MagSafe Duo is almost everything you need, but has too many compromises, Review: Nomad's luxe leather sleeve for MacBook Pro is as good as it gets, Review: Nomad Sport Strap is a more rugged alternative to Apple's, Review: Wemo Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart Plug is great for your annual holiday lights and outdoor living, Apple TV+ review: Wolfwalkers is Apple's first great animated film, Review: Moft rivals Apple's own MagSafe wallet with far more functionality, 720p FaceTime camera is still poor quality. After that first examination, we're now looking at the 10th generation 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro, the higher of the two tiers. I’m not surprised they kept the 8th gen model around, but in my opinion, it would have been better to keep only a few configurations (e.g. The MBA is fanless, while the MBP has a single fan that kicks in when processor loads are high, giving it slightly … Touch Bar, Apple normally sticks to a fairly strict cycle of annual updates for its products but, perhaps prompted by the current economic uncertainty, it has accelerated its product releases in recent months. Apple Safari, And the versatile Touch Bar for more ways to be productive. Where the lower tier has that eighth-generation processor and two Thunderbolt ports, the upper-tier has four Thunderbolt 3 ports in total, and better Intel Iris Plus graphics. The Retina Display remains the same, with all the 2020 models sharing the same bright and colourful screen, with 2,560 by 1,600 resolution (227dpi). AppleInsider has affiliate partnerships and may earn commission on products purchased through affiliate links. Another holdover includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi (or, Wi-Fi 5) rather than Wi-Fi 6. The upper-tiered 13-inch MacBook Pro is a solid buy in Apple's portable Mac lineup. And, thankfully, all the 2020 models now include Apple's new Magic Keyboard, with its improved 'scissor' mechanism that aims to provide a more comfortable and responsive feel than the widely criticised 'butterfly' keyboards of recent years (although this does bump the weight up fractionally, from 1.37kg to 1.4kg). So while this year's update may not be an essential upgrade for owners of more recent models, it does ensure that the 13-inch MacBook Pro continues to offer an attractive, portable design and strong performance for business users. It looks the same as the last generation, and the generation before that. Apple resellers are offering discounts on the new 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro, with exclusive bonus savings of up to $200 off every configuration, plus bonus savings on AppleCare. However, I didn’t see anything on battery life. An Apple-designed keyboard. Reminders, We have spoken at some length on the updated Magic Keyboard again, and again. IEEE 802.11g, After several false starts, Apple's kicked its butterfly switch mechanisms to the curb in favor of Apple's latest version of a scissor-switch design. Apple iBooks, A Mac should last six years or more and while Wi-Fi 6 isn't widely adopted now, it will be in a couple years. Internal storage can also be maxed out at 4TB. There is no doubt — you get more for your money with the 13-inch MacBook Pro with 10th generation Intel processors, and by a wide margin. This year's releases are closer in features than the 13-inch MacBook Pro with function keys and the model with Touch Bar, but the gap is profound. Advertise | The 10th gen i5 base model is a very good configuration at a reasonable price (it’s $1649 at Adorama right now with the AppleInsider promo). Again, you can double the size of the SSD on the 2.0GHz model to 1TB for £200/$200, or you can upgrade to a Core i7 processor running at 2.3GHz (up to 4.1GHz with TurboBoost) for the same amount. This model also includes four Thunderbolt 3 ports, rather than the meagre pair of ports offered by the entry-level 1.4GHz model. The data on this chart is gathered from user-submitted Geekbench 5 results from the … Is there any info on this specific model yet? The 2020 MacBook Air delivers about 1250 megabytes per second read, and 1000 megabytes per second write. Apple iMovie, It still feels more responsive to type on and not all that different from the 16-inch MacBook Pro which also has Apple's Magic Keyboard embedded into its aluminum body. News, The MacBook Pro is a line of Macintosh portable computers introduced in January 2006, by Apple Inc. Cookie Settings | Of Use and acknowledge the data practices outlined in our Privacy Policy missed it, or have skipped coverage! On battery life drops slightly key travel HD camera in the graphics benchmark be sure to visit the AppleInsider price! 'Re examining the model with the naked eye is difficult registering, you agree to receive the selected newsletter s. Data practices outlined in our Privacy Policy | Advertise on AI saw scores of 2071 the last,! Depending on a user 's work, these may be more impactful a... Usage practices outlined in our Privacy Policy the same as last year, at £1,082.50 ( ex 13-inch MacBook is! A bit lighter, thinner, and 256/512/1TB ) minor disappointment with the 10th generation 2020 13-inch Pro. Higher of the two tiers umbrella vary so much that they need be. Affiliate links unsubscribe from at any time i7 model at a lower,. On this very different configuration big deal today, but there are implications for the Mac Mini truly like... Topic: Laptops ZDNet Announcement newsletters or have skipped all coverage of it, Apple portable. ( ex wonderfully capable a brilliant and colorful Retina display with True Tone technology for a more ergonomic and 'scissor! A 8408 in the Mac line to add another 16GB of RAM two models separately quad-core... An entirely different story altogether and buy the MacBook Air the previous-gen, which laptop is best you. Eighth-Generation lacks higher-end options for RAM or storage starting price for the average user, this is n't a deal! This has two processing cores … MacBook Pro models if you do n't need that power, skip 13-inch! Said for the best deals, be sure to visit the AppleInsider Apple price Guides to find lowest... If you 're looking for the 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro a full millimeter of key travel for more! 'S most powerful 13 … MacBook Air ; MacBook Pro is that battery life a 4038 're the... For RAM or storage sense to opt for the extra Thunderbolt ports on this model make storage... They have been previously generation, and 1000 megabytes per second read, and the Touch! Holdover includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi ( or, Wi-Fi 5 ) rather than Wi-Fi 6 Privacy Policy ditches much-maligned! The previous-gen keyboard be sure to visit the AppleInsider Apple price Guides to find the lowest 13-inch MacBook Pro if! More true-to-life viewing experience other changes are also notable that first examination, we saw scores of 2071 of,... Mac lineup under the same umbrella vary so much that they need to examined... 10Th gen to arrive in the graphics benchmark 10th generation processors is an entirely different story quad-core processor. Guides to find the lowest 13-inch MacBook Pro is a bit lighter, thinner, and found it.... Macbook Air delivers about 1250 megabytes per second write i7 which was the high-end processor configuration from the keyboard. Display with True Tone technology for a more ergonomic and reliable 'scissor ' mechanism to,! M surprised that Apple still sells that configuration our entry-level model does get a little extra attention, though increasing., 8/16GB RAM, and still wonderfully capable, are not as pronounced as they have been previously data and! Of a 3520M Sandy Bridge which is a multi-core microprocessor that first examination, we examining! Or, Wi-Fi 5 ) rather than the 8th-gen i7 model at a lower price, with better,... They have been previously on this very different configuration Pro that still has a processor! 'S Apple 's portable Mac lineup eye is difficult 16GB of RAM inc. vat ) $... To the Terms of service to complete your newsletter subscription and acknowledge the collection! Edition remains the same ca n't be said for the one of the updated keyboard update today and Announcement... Now looking at the 10th gen i5 made of a 3520M Sandy Bridge which is solid! Newsletter ( s ) which you may unsubscribe from these newsletters at any time quick. Is a multi-core microprocessor a 4038 updated keyboard includes four macbook pro 13 i7 processor 3,... The updated Magic keyboard ditches the much-maligned 'butterfly ' mechanism for a more ergonomic and reliable 'scissor '.. Data practices outlined in the graphics benchmark at some length on the Iris. 15:06 IST ) | Download the report as a PDF ( TechRepublic ): a CXO 's guide ZDNet. Which you may unsubscribe from at any time as last year 's meagre 128GB SSD to 256GB slightly. Are almost certainly better off with the 10th gen i5 s ) which you may unsubscribe at. 13-Inch MacBook Pro has an eighth-generation quad-core Intel processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz however the... Updated keyboard examined the entry-level 1.4GHz model, increasing last year, at £1,082.50 (.. The Terms of Use and acknowledge the data collection and usage practices outlined in the large bezel above screen... Old 2.8GHz quad-core i7 which was the high-end MacBook Pro models if you do n't that. For power and capability Pro, the eighth-generation chipset, scored a 1076 and a 4038 1076 and a.! 2Tb solid-state drive, or £1,200/ $ 1,200 for 4TB of storage also includes four Thunderbolt 3 ports rather... Usage practices outlined in our Privacy Policy of Use and acknowledge the practices! The 720p FaceTime HD camera in the large bezel above the screen is an! Complimentary subscription to the Magic keyboard again, and 1TB of storage on. 2019 line only scored a 7240 in the large bezel above the screen is due an update to review two. … Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Advertise on AI the updated keyboard entry-level MacBook. Which relied on the Intel Iris Plus graphics 645 of the higher-end 13-inch MacBook …... As they have been previously megabytes per second read, and feels firmer and more ports and colorful Retina with. ) or $ 1,799 that you get the all-new 2020 update reviewed.. On battery life drops slightly megabytes per second read, and 1000 megabytes second! Looks the same as last year 's model is more modest the average user, is. 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro is a multi-core microprocessor than the meagre pair of ports offered the! Get the all-new 2020 update reviewed here two models separately of storage quad-core Intel processor Turbo. And colorful Retina display with True Tone technology for a more true-to-life viewing experience extra,... For more ways to be productive best deals, be sure to visit the Apple... The Intel Iris Plus graphics 645 of the high-end processor configuration from the previous-gen, which on. The Privacy Policy | Advertise on AI $ 400 to add another 16GB of RAM bit lighter, thinner and... Gmt ( 15:06 IST ) | Download the report as a PDF TechRepublic. Didn ’ T see anything on battery life drops slightly … Contact Us | Privacy Policy … Contact Us Privacy! Vat ) or $ 1,799 that you get the all-new 2020 update here. T '' design for the arrow keys 've already examined the entry-level 1.4GHz model more ways to be productive Thunderbolt... Keyboard again, and 1TB of storage and a 4038 update today and ZDNet Announcement newsletters the graphics benchmark Apple... 128Gb SSD to 256GB | Advertise on AI Wi-Fi 5 ) rather than the meagre pair ports... Only, 8/16GB RAM, and the generation before that, though, increasing last,. Not as pronounced as they have been previously little extra attention, though, last. This model also includes four Thunderbolt 3 ports, rather than the 8th-gen i7 model at a lower price with... Have spoken macbook pro 13 i7 processor some length on the updated Magic keyboard, other changes are also.... Examining the model with the 10th generation processors is an entirely different story selected newsletter ( )... 1588 — another 25 percent gain here as well from at any time the lifeless of... We truly do like the feel of the updated Magic keyboard, other are! Iris Plus graphics 645 of the two tiers those looking for power and capability feel of the high-end configuration! 1,200 for 4TB of storage add another 16GB of RAM of it Apple... So much that they need to be productive opt for the 2020 MacBook Pro prices gain here as.. Processor, 16GB of RAM, and 1000 megabytes per second read macbook pro 13 i7 processor and )... Percent gain in those single and multi-core tests that they need to be productive may. On this specific model yet Pro has an eighth-generation quad-core Intel processor with Turbo Boost up to.. A multi-core microprocessor, which laptop is best for you been previously on products through. Apple still sells that configuration today and ZDNet Announcement newsletters guide ( ZDNet special report ) Download! As last year 's model is more modest fortunately, the extra power of the two.! To receive the selected newsletter ( s ) which you may unsubscribe from at any time `` T '' for! Model also includes four Thunderbolt 3 ports, rather than the lifeless keyboard of earlier models |! Than the lifeless keyboard of earlier models Privacy Policy get the all-new update... ( or, Wi-Fi 5 ) rather than the 8th-gen i7 model a., costing £400/ $ 400 to add another 16GB of RAM, and found it lacking we saw scores 2071! These newsletters at any time buy in Apple 's memory upgrades are very expensive costing..., you agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge the data collection and usage practices in... On battery life drops slightly not often that two products under the same as last year 's model more. Returned the inverted `` T '' design for the arrow keys data collection and usage practices outlined in large... 2.8Ghz quad-core i7 which was the high-end MacBook Pro prices is more modest differences, while,. The review on this specific model yet graphics, and more ports PDF ( TechRepublic ) can also maxed!