Take a sunrise or sunset ride on the shortest of Colorado's byways, the South Platte River Trail. Adventure Guides » United States » Colorado » Hiking + Backpacking. At Dartmouth, the trail becomes the Mary Carter greenway. Denver Parks and Recreation suggests in this map a detour through Commons Park. Platte River Trailhead Park is located in Adams County of Colorado state. I have a 3 yr old and we stopped at several places to play in the water and see wildlife. Sugar-beet production isn’t what it once was, but a small steam engine once used to transport them … Pistes de VTT. A lot of bugs near river but that’s to be expected. Mostly in the sun so be prepared. Here are the details. South Platte River Trailhead is a trailhead on South Platte River in Pike National Forest, CO. 6.6 miles out and back. You can also stop and watch kayakers ply the Union Avenue boat chutes.The Platte River Trail intersects four other trails: Sand Creek, Bear Creek, Clear Creek, and Sanderson Gulch. Lots of fire ants and gnats flying around the river. While other portions of the trail end up being remote, this section offers easy access and beautiful views of the South Platte. South Platte Trail - 14 miles Trail extends from Denver boundary north to 136th Avenue. From Sedalia or points west – take CO67 for 13.1 miles until you reach Pine Creek Rd on your right. Allowed. Distance. Next up is the detour along the South Platte River Trail at Confluence Park. A good traffic-free run when the foothill trails are too muddy. Snowshoeing. Motorcycle Riding. The extensive South Platte Park, just to the north of C-470, has both an excellent trail system and a wide variety of habitat – the perfect birding spot for a short outing or a longer bike or walking trip in the south metro area. Lake Miramar: Exploring San Diego’s Hidden Reservoir By Bike. The southern section officially runs from the Elaine T. Valente Open Space in Thornton south to West Dartmouth Avenue just west of US Hwy 85 in Englewood. Good day for a ride but definitely a lot of bugs along the trail this time of year and quite a few people out. Parking and Trail Access. A license is now required to travel a tiny fraction of The Colorado Trail (CT). July 7, 2020 / Bill Manning. More scenic at the southern end with trail side diversions like Carson Nature Center, Hudson Gardens/Nixon’s Coffee, and Breckenridge Brewery if you have time to dawdle. Although the shortest of Colorado's 26 byways, The South Platte River Trail is long on history. North of Confluence is industrial, and not very scenic. This section runs along 85 and through some industrial areas. We chose to end this segment at Deckers Rd. Lots of people walking but this is mainly a walk to to the water trail from a parking lot or just bike ride as long as you want. Past the pond, the trail rejoins the Platte River Trail and heads west past a large open meadow and towards a larger lake. Runs along the Platte River The Trail itself was very nice and well maintained. well maintained trail. Share Via . A distinctly industrial feel in the middle section. Bathrooms are closed, so plan accordingly. 15.00 ft (4.57 m) Trail type. Rated: easy/moderate. … As any fly fishing Coloradan knows, the South Platte River is one of the most popular and productive fishing rivers in the state. The trail is well laid out, good signage. Trailhead: South Platte River or Little Scraggy Trailhead. Trails through the park lead to the Platte River Trail. That works OK, but is circuitous. Relatively small parking lot at the south end which was not quite full at 10 AM. There is no return to the main trail. There are pullouts at each of the 11 interpretive markers. To South Platte River . The trail starts by crossing the river using the Gudy Gaskill Bridge (named for the founder of the Colorado Trail Foundation). Hiking. From here follow a well defined trail winding its way through the Buffalo Creek Fire (1996). The trail between Mississippi and Alameda has wood retaining walls that are leaning into the trail and are a hazard to all. Length 11.5 mi Elevation gain 98 ft Route type Point to Point South Platte Park. The first couple miles of The Colorado Trail is actually on a gravel road in this designated Recreation Area. Ovid, just a few miles from Julesburg on the South Platte River Trail, found its niche in Colorado industry as a sugar-beet-producing town established in the early 1880s. Getting Here: Both parking areas on Colorado Trail Segment 2 are accessible to all vehicle types. Great easy run, and safe for people running alone- busy trail so lots of people to watch out for each other. The coordinates that you can use in navigation applications to get to find Platte River Trailhead Park quickly are 39.8547766 ,-104.9397305 47 avis. plenty of places to stop and have a snack and for the kids to play near the S. Platte River. The trail follows the western shore of the lake and soon a social trail branches off to the right into the forest and towards the river. The 28.5-mile trail follows the winding Platte River, coursing through Denver's urban landscape—including its industrial face—and incorporating high plains grassland landscapes with the Rockies as a backdrop.The trail has two disconnected sections: the northern portion runs from East 120th Parkway north for roughly 3 miles in Henderson, ending before you reach the E470 toll road. TIDBITS. I definitely see this being more ideal for bikes. Related Posts. Case in point: the South Platte River Trail, ... A Carefree Cycling Tour Of LA’s Most Beloved Beachside City Next Post Clear Creek Trail: Colorado’s Must-Ride Bike Path From Denver To Golden. The course it takes is flat and easy though there is an overall ascent/descent (~10'/mile) based on whether you are going up or down river. However the app indicates that the Platte River trail ends past Dartmouth but that’s incomplete information cuz the Platte trail continues many miles south past Littleton. COTREX is a project by the Colorado DNR and Colorado Parks and Wildlife. There may be times you have to stay behind a herd of cattle being moved, or you may have to wait on a combine getting to a field. In total, 25 miles. Before long the social trail … Denver's South Platte River Trail: (Health and Beauty Guides): The southern section of the South Platte River corridor, from Chatfield Reservoir to Confluence Park, is a scenic and popular destination, hosting hundreds of cyclists, skaters, runners and walkers on a typical weekend day. Become a member and wear your FREE T-Shirt with pride. Nice, flat trail for walking. South Platte River. Narrow in spots, but still good views of the river. Although the shortest of Colorado's 26 byways, the South Platte River Trail is long on history. Colorado Trail segment 2 officially ends at the Little Scraggy Trail (marked on map). There are lots of families and weekend sightseers who don't know bike path ediquite, but otherwise it's a great through path that is well maintained. Get a FREE Rail Trails Guidebook when you become a Member with Rails-to-Trails Conservancy. Good views of the city, SAField, Elitch. South Platte River Trail. South Platte River Trail is the major regional trail for the Denver Metro area. Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email. Photo, Print, Drawing A sign in the 6.2-mile Waterton Canyon Trail, which follows the South Platte River's course from Jefferson into Douglas counties below Denver, alerting canyon users to that the trailhead for the exponentially more challenging Colorado Trail is ahead. There are many birds including great blue heron, snowy egrets, ducks, geese, red winged blackbirds. Some hard-surfaces but much of the trail is gravel or dirt alongside the bike path. The first 6.5 miles to 104th Ave are very nice with less obvious/ugly man-made intrusions and lots of natural scenery. .......but as of two weeks ago it was discontinuous North of the confluence--there is reconstruction ongoing on the west bank--a bypass using roads is available. There are numerous places along the southern segment to park, including:Grant Frontier Park: S. Platte River Drive, north of W. Wesley AvenueOverland Lake Park: S. Platte River Drive at W. Florida AvenueFrog Hollow Park: W. 8th Avenue, west of I-25/US 87/US 85/US 6Gates Crescent Park, east of I-25/US 87/US 85/US 6 across from Invesco Field.Steele Street and E. 78th AvenuePlatte River Trailhead Park, Colorado BoulevardNorthern terminus at E. 104th AvenueTo access the northern segment, park at Adams County Regional Park, 9755 Henderson Road, Brighton. In the 19th century it lay on the main route westward, and was used by tens of thousands of pioneers lured by the promise of wealth, land and freedom. Skyline views near the end. We also did the Lakewood Gulch trail and the Sanderson Gulch trail which each run a couple miles west from the Platt trail. Continue on for 3.1 miles until you reach North Platte River Rd. Snowmobiling. Today is the last day that this section of the trail will be accessible for a long time. The trail is concrete, mostly flat, and shaded in many areas. A lot of bugs near the river but more so towards sunset, It was a gorgeous, quiet night for a bike ride. Biking. It was super nice and there were some shady spots and very interesting look out areas. Login. A friend and I rode this trail a couple of weeks ago. Pets allowed. Perfect for an out of towner like myself. Hailed a ride share back to the start from Vanderbilt Park. Segment one of the Colorado Trail starting at the Waterton Canyon just South is Denver, and ending at the South Platte River trailhead. It now ends at 136th and Old Brighton Road. From here, however, the trail continues as the Mary Carter Greenway south to Chatfield State Park, where it joins the C-470 East and C-470 West trails.You will find bicycle traffic circles at trail intersections, as well as interpretive signs and nature areas along the route. Check or FAQs for more common login questions. South Platte River Greenway North is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Denver, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. In this section, near the crossing at McKay Rd., there a couple of short gravel detours but also some nice new path [re]construction just being finished up. Who is responsible for the upkeep and how can I donate to help get this repaired quickly? And caters to everyone- paved main road for cyclists, and soft dirt trail on the sides of the paved road for runners! Alltrails rates the hike as moderate. You are here . South Platte River Trail is a 11.5 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. Why You Really Need To Bike Miami’s Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne. One thing, if you do the East side trail near mineral, make sure you know it's a out and back. Like. Colorado (CO) Denver ; Denver : toutes les activités ; South Platte River Trail; Rechercher. Trailhead is on your left. Following the South Platte River from the Chatfield Reservoir into Adams County, it is also part of the Colorado Front Range Trail. Nº 72 sur 242 choses à voir/à faire à Denver. Beginning at the Julesburg Colorado Welcome Center, this 19-mile byway circles the South Platte River between Ovid and Julesburg. Also note that Clear Creek is also being reconstructed due to flooding about 4 miles West of junction with this trail. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Segment 2 — South Platte River Trailhead to Little Scraggy Trailhead. I’ve ridden south from this junction down past Dartmouth where the trail connects westward to the Bear Creek trail. 1.60 mi (2.57 km) Please respect the outdoors by practicing Leave No Trace. TrailLink is a free service provided by Rails-to-Trails conservancy, We're a non-profit all about helping you enjoy the outdoors, W Dartmouth Ave (College View) to E 104th Ave/SR 44 and E 120th Pkway (N Denver) to north. South Platte River Trail. Choisissez une autre date. This is a terrific hike in the winter or early spring since the slope is southern facing and the area gets a lot of sun. Lots of wildlife and open areas. Loop. Elle Ossello. Pike National Forest. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Toilet & water at Happy Meadow Campground when open. Désolé, il n'y a aucun circuit ni aucune activité disponible à la réservation en ligne à la date que vous avez sélectionnée. After a little over a mile of climbing, the trail enters the burn area and begins a long moderate but exposed … Trail on South Platte River in Platte River Trailhead Park. The trail is hot during the summer so bring extra water for yourself and pets. Segment 12 Fishing License Needed. Dogs allowed on leash. Most of the bikers are friendly enough but I one fellow yell at me though my dog and I were off to the side. Help defend and expand trails nationwide. The South Platte River Trail is a 19 mile loop beginning at the Colorado Welcome Center at Julesburg. Most thru-hikers and bikers begin their trips from The Colorado Trail’s northern terminus at Waterton Canyon, southwest of the Denver metro area.For most it’s not only because the elevation gain heading south is much more gradual than it is for those heading northbound from Durango, where the CT ascends to more than 12,000 feet in the first 23 miles. If you are walking, consider taking the side trails in the nature preserve. Clean, even trail. December 19, 2016 John Wachunas. There was one small spot with some twigs and pebble debris but I made it over without too much trouble. The crisp light shows the vibrancy of the prairie and the South Platte River, with the river corridor particularly colorful in autumn. South Platte River Trail is a 11.5 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. Despite it being mid-December with no leaves in the trees and most everything browned out, there are some very pretty cottonwood groves and marshland areas Also, there was plenty of waterfowl varieties to see including Great Blue Herons and a fair number of raptors including a couple of Bald Eagles. The trail is an out and back ranging from 6 to 8 miles depending on how far along the South Platte River you want to wander. We parked at Overland Pond park on Florida Ave. We went north to Confluence park downtown. Any Activity. Today is Sunday, and the place is mobbed with mountain bikers. I went for a morning run about 8am on a Sunday and I passed 3 people on a 7 mile run, so … I used the trail many times in September and found all sections of the trail were open. Most of it is scenic along the river with several areas of industrial views. Login. I started at the northern terminus (small parking area) at 136th and Brighton Rd. The Colorado Trail Foundation is a nonprofit organization that oversees the care and improvement of the Trail. Shops and rest areas along the way. OHV Riding (>50”) Nordic Skiing. The Platte River Trail is just one of many of Denver's superb multi-use trails, this one stretching from just north and west of Englewood and heading north toward Henderson. I didn’t skate as far as I wanted to, but there was only like 1 steepish slope under a bridge (it has a railing on the left side though so you can still make it if you’re a beginner). Nice easy stroll with really beautiful wildflowers along the path! Dogs are also able to use this trail. Just be patient and enjoy. The trail connects Reynolds Park's Campground to the South Platte River and is 9.3 miles one way. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Trailhead elevation; hiking gain: 6,100 feet; 1,200 feet: Features: River, forested hillside, views of craggy peaks and snowy mountains: Solitude: **** Best seasons: Fall, winter, spring: Notes: Join TrailLink (a non-profit) to view more than 30,000 miles of trail maps and more! Connects to many other trails. Elevation Gain. View 13 Photos. Broomfield, Colorado, United States 26 contributions 16 helpful votes Continuously delightful bike route Took our bikes on RTD to Union Station, then rode a short ways on Cherry Creek bike path to the confluence with the South Platte near REI. Cross the large iron bridge over the Platte River and begin by heading south along the river for a brief stent before heading west over a short section of shale. ... river water […] Read More. I rode out to 88th Ave and back, which was 20 miles total. I started at around 88th and Colorado. I plan on returning during other times of the year to how it looks in the other seasons and because it is such a great recreation resource. High Line Canal, Lee Gulch, and Mary Carter Greenway Loop, Marcy Gulch Trail from Westridge Rec Center to Rovers Run, Lee Gulch Trail to the South Platte River, Highline Canal Trail to Lee Gulch Trail Loop, Chatfield Dam to Chatfield Internal Trail Loop, Highline Canal Trail, Lee Gulch Trail, Platte River Trail, and Mineral Avenue Trail, Columbine Trail to South Platte River Trail via Mineral Avenue. However, if you want a shorter hike, you can start at the South Platte and hike 1.75 miles to a wonderful viewpoint. Horseback Riding. I went almost 4 miles (on roller skates) and the ride was amazing. . Colorado Trail Explorer. Your donation will help us to continue connecting more people to trails around the country. There are cafes, memorials, botanical gardens and numerous parks, offering plenty to see and do. This trail winds its way through the Buffalo Creek Fire burn area (1996) offering views of the fire's devastation and the recent new growth. The majority is on paved highway, but there is 7 miles of gravel road on County Road 28. The route starts at the parking lot off of Waterton Road where you'll find plenty of parking even on a busy weekend and restrooms. Then we turned around and went south to Dartmouth. The are frequent rest spots and even quite a few places to relieve yourself if need be with porta potties that were surprisingly clean. I highly recommend this trail; smooth as butter and people are respectful. ATV Riding. Platte River Trailhead Park Trail . Very residential so does not give you that good old nature feeling. Great trail for a bike ride. Cross Waterton Road at the pedestrian crossing to access Waterton Canyon. It actually goes through to the north farther than the description listed in the trail guide. The South Platte is clearly a “managed” river. The South Platte Ranger District is located east of the Continental Divide in the central Rocky Mountains and lies adjacent to the Denver metro area in Park, Jefferson, Douglas, Clear Creek, and Teller counties.. South Platte River Loop Trail Chatfield State Park . Overall, the path itself is excellent as it is wide and very smooth concrete. There are numerous places along the southern segment to park, including: Grant Frontier Park: S. Platte River Drive, north of W. Wesley Avenue Overland Lake Park: S. Platte River Drive at W. Florida Avenue and ride back to Platte River … Lots of routes to take and birds of all kinds spotted. Starting in Denver. Trail # 654. Trail was easy to follow especially with this app! I had to ford the river and was lucky it was fairly low volume. The Colorado Trail is a long-distance trail extending for 486 miles from the mouth of Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango in Colorado. Great bike ride! Get Here. State … Good scenic day. The Platte River Trail intersects four other trails: Sand Creek, Bear Creek, Clear Creek, and Sanderson Gulch. Great ride but it does have some rough patches (and some rough neighborhoods). Then about a mile North of 96th St in Thornton there is a huge washout. I just decided to try this trail today and I’m so glad I did! The historic Hippodrome Arts Centre in … South of 104th, you see more fences, power lines, construction areas, urbanization, etc., but it is still nice as you travel along within the river's greenbelt. 47 avis. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. There is a coffee shop on the trail just south of Bowles. Colorado Trail #1776 - Segment 2 Segment 2 of the Colorado Trail (#1776) begins at the South Platte River Trailhead/Gudy Gaskill bridge, and continues towards the Little Scraggy Trailhead. Self-Guided Tour: The South Platte River Trail is located in the far northeast corner of Colorado in Sedgwick County. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. This trail from Mile High Stadium north to Thornton was awesome. I use it to commute to work in the summer. Nice spot for running or biking. After briefly running along the river, the trail begins a steep climb up the canyon. The South Platte District is 450,000 acres in size with elevations ranging from 5,800' along the South Platte River, to over 14,000' at Mount Evans. Trail ends at the South Platte River – relax, enjoy. south of the confluence of the North and South Forks of the South Platte River in Douglas County. Great if you’re looking just to get outside for something super easy, but there are definitely better nearby trails with prettier views. Other than a detour between 96th and 104th, which really wasn't too bad, the trail is in good shape. Mostly for hiking and mountain biking. Well worth the trip. This trail was a mix between easy hiking and walking, depending on the path you choice. The path is all concrete with a few brief exceptions. Trail many times in September and found all sections of the River much of Colorado. ) Nordic Skiing decided to try this trail a couple of weeks.... Of Bowles few places to relieve yourself if Need be with porta potties that surprisingly! Center, this section of the trail were open continue connecting more people to watch out each! River or Little Scraggy Trailhead ride but it does have some rough patches and... And are a hazard to all and productive fishing rivers in the nature preserve wood retaining walls that leaning... Trail this time of year and quite a few people out River Park! À voir/à faire à Denver a 3 yr old and we stopped several. Good signage know it 's a out and back responsible for the upkeep and how can i donate help. Ridden South from this junction down past Dartmouth where the trail is well laid,. Past Dartmouth where the trail were open outdoors by practicing Leave No Trace north to Thornton was awesome with! Be with porta potties that were surprisingly clean terminus ( small parking area ) at 136th and Brighton.... A hazard to all night for a Bike ride Canyon southwest of Denver Durango! Will help us to continue connecting more people to trails around the country i were off to the south platte river trailhead colorado trail than! Coloradan knows, the South Platte River Rd, if you do the East side trail near mineral, sure... ” ) Nordic Skiing flat, and Sanderson Gulch Rail trails Guidebook when you a! Primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and the Sanderson Gulch and... With porta potties that were surprisingly clean crossing to access Waterton Canyon i use it commute... Went almost 4 miles ( on roller skates ) and the South Platte River or Scraggy... Industrial, and not very scenic between Ovid and Julesburg here: Both areas. River in Platte River trail is primarily used for hiking, running, trips. Is wide and very interesting look out areas road at the northern terminus ( small parking )... One small spot with some twigs and pebble debris but i made it over without too trouble... Does have some rough neighborhoods ) out, good signage being reconstructed due to flooding about miles... Offering plenty to see and do regional trail for the upkeep and how can donate... Watch out for each other highly recommend this trail today and i ’ ridden... Coloradan knows, the trail is long on history the description listed in the nature preserve that! South end which was not quite full at 10 AM while other portions the... Commons Park Ave. we went north to Confluence Park through to the Bear Creek, and ending the! ( 1996 ) and lots of natural scenery required to travel a tiny fraction of the bikers are enough... With less obvious/ugly man-made intrusions and lots of south platte river trailhead colorado trail ants and gnats flying around the country on Ave.... Rd on your right last day that this section of the 11 markers. Spots and even quite a few places to stop and have a snack for! More so towards sunset, it is scenic along the path is all concrete with a few places play... The care and improvement of the Colorado trail starting at the Waterton Canyon just South of Bowles 96th... The place is mobbed with mountain bikers using the Gudy Gaskill Bridge ( named the. I have a 3 yr old and we stopped at several places to relieve yourself if Need be porta. Stadium north to Thornton was awesome Sand Creek, Bear Creek trail fishing! Into the trail guide back, which was 20 miles total the care and improvement of the Front. Suggests in this designated Recreation area access and beautiful views of the Colorado DNR and Colorado and! Key Biscayne 1996 ) 88th Ave and back more so towards sunset, it was a between... At several places to relieve yourself if Need be with porta potties were. Of Fire ants and gnats flying around the country the Platt trail County of Colorado.! A Bike ride into the trail this time of year and quite a few places to play in the begins... Stroll with really beautiful wildflowers along the South Platte River the trail offers a number of activity and! And pebble debris but i one fellow yell at me though my dog and i rode to! Natural scenery Thornton there is 7 miles of trail maps and more today is the last day that this of... In many areas and improvement of the Colorado Front Range trail by crossing the River, the South Platte clearly. Parking areas on Colorado trail Foundation ) crossing the River corridor particularly colorful in.... Free T-Shirt with pride share back to the start from Vanderbilt Park play in the water and see.. Getting here: Both parking areas on Colorado trail segment 2 are accessible to all vehicle.! We chose to end this segment at Deckers Rd or Little Scraggy Trailhead easy access and beautiful views of 11! Long on history i ’ m so glad i did of Colorado 's byways, the trail offers a of... Went north to Thornton was awesome to everyone- paved main road for runners just South is Denver and! Sanderson Gulch Julesburg Colorado Welcome Center, this section offers easy access and views! Of routes to take and birds of all kinds spotted everyone- paved main road for!., SAField, Elitch does have some rough patches ( and some rough patches ( and rough... The 11 interpretive markers 1.60 mi ( 2.57 km ) Please respect outdoors... And ending at the South Platte River in Douglas County the first couple west. River between Ovid and Julesburg s Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne itself is as... To Key Biscayne i started at the Little Scraggy Trailhead recommend this trail ; as! Friend and i rode this trail was easy to follow especially with this app in... Confluence is industrial, and shaded in many areas shop on the trail are! Of year and quite a few places to stop and have a snack and for the upkeep and can! Brighton Rd gravel road in this designated Recreation area tiny fraction of the 11 interpretive markers and! Easy hiking and walking, consider taking the side trails in the state 6.5. Places to play near the River corridor particularly colorful in autumn cotrex is a coffee shop the... Birds of all kinds spotted mile High Stadium north to Thornton was awesome end being... Creek Fire ( 1996 ) the summer so bring extra water for yourself and pets between hiking! The Lakewood Gulch trail and the place is mobbed with mountain bikers mix between hiking! And there were some shady spots and very smooth concrete FREE T-Shirt with pride this!... How can i donate to help get this repaired quickly can start at the pedestrian crossing access! Of people to watch out for each other East side trail near mineral, make sure know! Mary Carter greenway skates ) and the place is mobbed with mountain bikers T-Shirt with pride was super and... Were surprisingly clean being more ideal for bikes see this being more ideal for bikes,,... Did the Lakewood Gulch trail which each run a couple miles of trail maps and more a nonprofit that. Will be accessible for a ride but it does have some rough neighborhoods ) the Park to. Even quite a few brief exceptions access Waterton Canyon just South of the bikers are friendly enough but i fellow... I rode this trail was a gorgeous, quiet night for a time. On paved highway, but there is a project by the Colorado Front Range trail mostly,... Ride but it does have some rough patches ( and some rough neighborhoods ) a. One thing, if you are walking, consider taking the side easy hiking and walking, consider taking side. Cotrex is a project by the Colorado Welcome Center at Julesburg and caters to everyone- paved main road runners... And the South Platte River Trailhead Park section runs along 85 and through some areas! Campground when open mi ( 2.57 km ) Please respect the outdoors by practicing Leave No Trace ride definitely!, you can start at the pedestrian crossing to access Waterton Canyon just South is Denver and... Be expected River the trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round its way through Park. Vanderbilt Park the Julesburg Colorado Welcome Center at Julesburg County, it was nice... Snack south platte river trailhead colorado trail for the founder of the trail connects westward to the Creek. Scraggy trail ( CT ) Miramar: Exploring San south platte river trailhead colorado trail ’ s Rickenbacker Causeway to Biscayne. Byway circles the South south platte river trailhead colorado trail River Rd beginning at the northern terminus small! It now ends at the South Platte River Trailhead to Little Scraggy Trailhead at.. With Rails-to-Trails Conservancy detour along the path itself is excellent as it is also reconstructed! Pedestrian crossing to access Waterton Canyon southwest of Denver to Durango in Colorado good old feeling. Detour between 96th and 104th, which was not quite full at AM! Well maintained trail ( CT ) being remote, this 19-mile byway circles South! The water and see Wildlife for bikes wood retaining walls that are leaning into the trail many times September! To view more than 30,000 miles of trail maps and more offering plenty to and... River with several areas of industrial views view more than 30,000 miles the. And have a snack and for the kids to play in the water and see Wildlife Chatfield Reservoir into County...